Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla FireFox Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:44 PM

One time when i went to start firefox it asked me which setting to pick. It only had one setting (default) so i picked it but it said it was already in use. I checked and i did not have any firefox or any other program open so I clicked "New . . ." and made one called default 2 but now all of my bookmarks are gone. Also all of the websites i go onto don't auto sign on as me. So i do i change the setting back to default (the original) so that i can get all of my bookmarks back!!!. By the way i don't know if this will help but i have Windows XP, I can still use firefox but different bookmarks and settings.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:20 PM

Sounds to me that you have set up a second user accout for FF by mistake.
This would account for the difference in bookmarks and settings. I would delete one user account .
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 frankie12

frankie12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:26 PM

how do i delete the one user account? I sorry but i know this is a stupid question!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:41 AM

I looked in Mozillazine and found a thread on combining two different profiles, which seems like the best option for you. The article should apply to FF, since it applies to Thunderbird and Mozilla:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FA..._Merge_Profiles

Let us know if it doesn't work.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 keithy397

keithy397

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:30 AM

When Firefox states a profile is already in use (create another) it means the program has not closed properly. When closing and re-opening Firefox (ie after extension/theme installation) and that happens, check in the Processes tab in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and if there are any instances of firefox.exe, select line and use 'End Process'. If you have not created another profile' Firefox will open in your original Profile. If you have created another profile you will now need to access your Profile Manager.

Click - Start > Run > (type) firefox.exe -p (firefox[dot]exe[space]-p) and you will now open your Profile Manager where you can Select, Create, Delete & Rename profiles. There is also an option to open the profile manager every time you start Firefox which is handy for multiple profiles or users.

Hope my 2 cents worth made sense!
Cheers

Keith

#6 frankie12

frankie12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:31 PM

Thank you jgweed that website it solved my problem. Thanks also to keithy397 but i didn't really need that info that thanks for trying.

#7 JG427

JG427

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:33 PM

Another method is to copy the bookmarks and cookie files from the default profile and paste to default2, overwriting the files there.

They are located at C:\Documents and Settings\your user id\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ folder as bookmarks.html and cookies.txt.

It's a good idea to place a copy of bookmark.html in your "My Documents" folder as a backup.

Edit: I see you solved your problem. Still a good time to make a backup copy of your bookmarks.

Edited by JG427, 18 June 2005 - 09:38 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users