Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird and gmail confusion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

Hi,

I installed Thunderbird email client for my gmail account.

When I started to add account I found one options specially for Gmail. Wow! Nice, I thought :thumbsup: I proceeded. It was simple and it started to work. Thunderbird was using POP this way.

Next when I checked Google's directions for adding account to Thunderbird, they tell to use IMAP. Completely different procedure.

Should I use IMAP or POP? Why does Google gives directions to use IMAP for Thunderbird but POP for rest like Outlook, Outlook Express and Eudora?

Please someone explain. Thanks in advance :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hello Romeo29,

You can use POP or IMAP for either one. Here is the difference. With IMAP mail, when messages are downloaded to your e-mail client's Inbox, they also remain on the server. In other words, if you shut off your computer, went to the library, and opened your g-mail account in webmail, you would see all your messages that were previously downloaded to your inbox at home.

Now, let's say that you decided, while on web-mail, to delete some of those messages in the inbox. When you go back home, open your e-mail client, the client will reload the messages from the inbox, but the ones you deleted from the inbox while on the webmail interface will now be gone from the inbox in Thunderbird as well.

Now, if you are using POP, the messages downloaded to your Inbox will no longer be in the Inbox on the webmail interface. Now here is what is rather interesting with g-mail in contrast to some other e-mail providers. All messages that were downloaded to your computer you can still find in the trash box on g-mail's webmail interface. With other e-mail providers, those messages would no longer be on the server at all.

Going back to I-MAP. If you are using an e-mail client, if you move messages from your inbox to local folders, with most e-mail providers, those messages would now be gone from the provider's servers. With g-mail, those messages will appear in Trash. If you move messages to folders you create under the e-mail account, those messages will then appear in the same folders on the web-mail interface. This can be handy if you need to access your e-mail from various computers. If you create folders while using the webmail interface and you move messages into them, you will need to subscribe to those folders in your e-mail client to get them on your e-mail client. With IMAP, generally, what you move in the client is moved on the server and what you move using webmail will be reflected in the webmail client.

The exception is local folders. Those folders are ONLY on one specific computer.

Have I just made things muddier for you?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Thanks OrangeBlossom for your quick and detailed reply. :thumbsup:

When I clicked on clients help from within Gmail, for Thundebird it always opened IMAP directions. :trumpet: It gave me impression that Gmail supports only IMAP for Thunderbird. Later when I googled for "Thunderbird Gmail settings" I found results for both POP and IMAP.

Silly me :flowers:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

You're welcome Romeo29. For what it's worth, it took me a long time to find the IMAP set-up directions for G-Mail. Turns out that I had to change my view of the page so I could see the information. Something about the code on the page; with the one view it ran and with the other it didn't and when it didn't run I couldn't get to those instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users