Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hijackthis log

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#1 titania

titania

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

Hi,

Is there anything in the attached hijackthis log that should be deleted? I have managed to use some tools to remove some viruses like Privacy Components, Internet Antivirus and Antivirus 360. I am still having a few problems with computer speed and programs opening up that I didn't start. No pop-ups or fake virus warnings. I want to make sure the computer is clean.

Thank you for your help,

Titania

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 titania

titania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

I guess there is no one interested in diagnosing the HJT log for my computer....Did I post in the wrong area? Am I doing this all wrong?

I am just looking for a little bit of help....

You folks must be pretty busy so I'll be patient......damn viruses!

Titania

Edited by titania, 14 April 2009 - 04:52 PM.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 titania

titania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I did as you requested and the logs are attached. I had a few viruses - privacy components, internet antivirus and antivirus 360. I used some tools to remove the viruses but the computer is still running slow and freezing up at times. Programs open up without any prompt. Things just aren't the same. I don't know if I deleted something that was important as I was cleaning out the viruses or if there are leftover traces of viruses mucking things up.
I appreciate your help. Titania

Attached Files

#5 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

Howdy, my name is Hoov, and I will be helping you with your dilemma.

Please make sure you watch this thread for responses. If you click the options tab at the top of your first post, you can select to track this thread.

Here is what I am asking you to do during the repair of your computer

*Tell me everything that you have done, if anything, to try and fix this problem.

*Please only use 1 forum to help clear up your problem. Posting on more than 1 and following instructions from more than 1 forum will cause those helping you to pull out thier hair.

*Follow my instructions - If you can't for some reason, or if you don't understand something, please tell me. If you deviate from my instructions, tell me, it may make a difference on where we go. Don't install anything, even other programs that have nothing to do with security or malware, it could cause things to change, and I would never know it.

*Have faith. I will do all I can to get your computer working, and if I can't - someone else here will know something else to try.

*Stick with me to the end. My aim is to fix your problems, and give you the tools and knowledge to keep this from happening again.

Now onto trying to fix your computer.

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

Download and scan with CCleaner
1. Starting with v1.27.260, CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation. IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option OR download the toolbar-free or Slim versions instead of the Standard Build.
2. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
3. Then select the items you wish to clean up.
In the Windows Tab:
  • Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Cookies if you want to keep those.
  • Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.
  • Clean all entries in the "System" section.
  • Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
  • Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:
  • Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
  • Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
  • Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
  • Clean any others that you choose.
4. Click the "Run Cleaner" button.
5. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
6. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.
7. Click "exit" when done.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Is there anything else going wrong with your computer? Lots of popups or anything like that? Or is it just a general slowdown of all the programs?
Visiting From SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
-From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Senior of the Howard Families

Posted Image

#6 titania

titania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

Hi Hoov,

Thank you for helping me with this. I have done as you have asked and run the ccleaner and have attached the log from mbam.

I have had a few infections: internet antivirus, antivirus 360 and privacy components. I have used spybot, mbam, spyware hunter, smitfraudfix etc to remove the infections. Most recently, I removed windows live onecare and replaced it with AVG free and Comodo for the firewall because the firewall kept turning off. I have regcure and use it regularly. I don't think that I have made any major or drastic changes to the computer, I have only tried to remove what shouldn't be there. But the computer is slow in loading programs, programs open that I haven't chosen, the computer slows down and then freezes. There are no annoying pop-ups. I hope that I haven't done something that has damaged the computer during my attempts to clean it up. I am no computer expert, but I am eager to learn.

I greatly appreciate your expert help.

Titania

Attached Files

#7 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

About what you have done in the past, the only thing I see that may be a problem is RegCure. I am skittish about anything that claims to cleanup the registry. Generally if there is a problem with the registry, there is other problems as well.

* Anyone other than the originator of this thread, you would be best advised to not run combofix without guidance from someone trained in its use. It is a very powerful tool that can cause damage to your computer if used wrong.

Run comboFix.exe. Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running the tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

* Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Also make sure you close all your browsers just before the instructions tell you to start the scanner.

Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Posted Image

#8 titania

titania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Good Day Hoov,

Here is the combofix log you asked for.

Thank you,

Titania

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   18.28KB   17 downloads

#9 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Any change in your problem?

Posted Image

#10 titania

titania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hi Hoov,

Things are still moving slow. I haven't had any programs open that I haven't prompted, but they still take a while to open.

Thank you again for your help and your prompt responses.

Titania

#11 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

Right click on the taskbar and select taskmanager. Down at the bottom there are some numbers I need. The percentage of the CPU usage, and the two numbers after commit charge. Also can you tell me how large your harddrive is, and how much free space is left on it?

Posted Image

#12 titania

titania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

CPU usage jumps all over the place from 100% down to 2%, but mostly hovering under 10%

Commit Charge 359M/1230M

Free Space 11.4GB

Total Size 18.6GB

#13 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

When it jumps to 100% what process is using those cycles?

Posted Image

#14 titania

titania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

I 'm not sure what to look for to answer your question. 'System Idle Process' CPU # jumps from 00 to 98.

#15 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

System Idle Process is basically what cycles that are not being used. Is there anything other than that that increases beyond 10% with the computer just sitting idle?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users