Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wirless works, Direct connection doesn't (for one computer only).

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Wireless works, Direct connection doesn't. (For one computer only)
My computer's operating system is a Windows Vista. Here's the main problem, my main computer (desktop computer) AND ONLY THAT ONE is the computer that cannot connect to the internet. And it is not wireless so I have to make a direct connection, yet it still doesn't work. When I make a direct connection with my laptop it works perfectly.

I'm not sure if this is it, but this person had a similar person. I am uncertain if it was exactly this problem: http://forums.techguy.org/networking...ok-direct.html
**(Please pay attention to the links I'm providing. They may be helpful in some way.)
It was working perfectly yesterday, and when I returned a few minutes later it had an attention sign near the little computer screens on my Notification Area: ( http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3360/46083525.jpg )
First place I checked was the Network and Sharing Center: ( http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2182/24275532.jpg ) It pretty much gave me a similar picture to what the notification area's computer screens had told me. It requires attention? What exactly did that mean? By the way, my internet provider is comcast, I had given them a call and they mentioned that it may be something with my router. I called my router's company and they just said that it was probably an internet/network card.. I don't remember which. But buying a new internet/network card and opening up the computer is my last resort, i want to atleast try to troubleshooting before assuming the worse.

I have heard that if I uninstall the only network adapter from the device manager and let it reinstall may help ( http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/280/54433237.jpg ) but I'd rather not do anything before I'm prompted to do so. Though, it says that the device is working properly, so I really don't know what to think. ( http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9989/11482331.jpg )

Please help!!

Here's the IP config/All just in case

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Rosana-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-0D-3F-6B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::18c3:cd46:a488:2a54%10(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.42.84(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

( http://forums.techguy.org/networking/81728...ion-doesnt.html )
**I have posted this same problem on the Tech Support Guys Forum, but it's still not resolved. I'm wondering if anyone here has any other opinions or solutions to my problem.

Edited by s1owcomputer, 11 April 2009 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

I would recommend firstly, doing an anti-virus, and anti-spware scan... This doesn't seem like a NIC problem, if the problem was with the NIC you wouldn't be able to even see the device to begin with... Though the drivers could be a problem but doubtable... I would first check for virus' and spyware... Let me know what is going on afterwords....

#3 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

Alright scanned the whole computer with Dr. Web and my Symantec anti-virus (unfortunately, I'm unable to update the symantec one since I don't have access to the internet). And it didn't find any viruses what so ever. :thumbsup:

Edited by s1owcomputer, 12 April 2009 - 11:56 AM.

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Well it is still possible that there is a virus or something of the sort on the computer... Though I have taken a look at this Dr. Web, seems good I guess lol... So what I think we should do is.. Check and make sure all your services are running fine... I see that your router is not giving you a valid ip, so I would check and make sure that it isn't the router just the same... Using your laptop you can log into your router and make sure that everything is working fine with the dchp server... I would try restarting the router, and then try connecting... If that works then you may just have to do that sometimes to reset the cache within the router... Just wondering do you use the same cable between the router and the PC as you do with the router and the laptop?

#5 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

Well, they first thing I did was call the router company. :\ They asked me to reset the router and then we checked if everything was working fine by logging into my linksys account. To tell you the truth, I tried several ways to connect it. The main reason why I think it doesn't work is because I connected the modem directly to the desktop computer (which should always work) but it didn't. Then I connected the modem with the laptop (which should also work) and it worked just fine!

So my only problem is the desktop computer. And I seriously have no idea what else to assume except that a virus may have had something to do with it. If you read my most recent post in the Tech Support Guys forum, I tried uninstalling to see if it could reinstall and fix the problem, but that didn't seem to work. Not even on Safe Mode. x__x;

I already made a thread on the "Am I Infected?" board of this forum, and I'm hoping to receive a reply. If a virus isn't the culprit, then I really don't know what else to think... Because it was working fine just a few days ago. Oh, and if you have any other methods I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot for your help.

#6 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Well as I said it is possible that there is a virus or something of the sort... But if you tried doing things in safe mode I am hoping you knew to make sure you enabled the network support... Cause you can launch safe mode without it... As for methods... I am trying to think of something we could do within your situation...

I would try setting up the connection manually... In the network and sharing center, click status, click properties, go to tcp/ip V4 click properties, click the "Use the following" use 192.168.1.101 (givin of course that the network Ip has not changed from the original)... for the subnet mask use 255.255.255.0, for the gatewat use 192.168.1.1, same with your DNS use 192.168.1.1... Try that and let me know if you get a connection...

#7 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

A couple of quick things that I can see.

The IP address is a 169. IP which means that the computer couldn't find the DHCP server and so it made up its own to try to communicate with other devices on the network.

A couple of things to try. First try the changing the cable on the router end to another port (it could just be a bad port). the other thing you can try it test the cable by plugging in both ends of the cable to the LAN side of the router and verify on the front of the router that the led are lighting up but don't leave this in as this causes a loop back and slows down the network. If that doesn't work try and reset the router you can do this by pressing in and holding down the reset button on the back of the router (please be prepared to reset all the parameters). Most routers have a backup feature normally in the admin tab.

If that still doesn't fix it try to use your laptop or another computer with the same cable and see if it works there (disable the wireless feature so that you don't get a false positive). And lastly go get you a NIC. you can get a PCI NIC (if you know how to open a case and insert a card) for about 25 bucks or buy a USB NIC that will keep you from opening your case.

Hope that helps,
Garrett

#8 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Well as I said it is possible that there is a virus or something of the sort... But if you tried doing things in safe mode I am hoping you knew to make sure you enabled the network support... Cause you can launch safe mode without it... As for methods... I am trying to think of something we could do within your situation...

I would try setting up the connection manually... In the network and sharing center, click status, click properties, go to tcp/ip V4 click properties, click the "Use the following" use 192.168.1.101 (givin of course that the network Ip has not changed from the original)... for the subnet mask use 255.255.255.0, for the gatewat use 192.168.1.1, same with your DNS use 192.168.1.1... Try that and let me know if you get a connection...

Uhm.. Not sure what you mean about the Network Support, I simply restarted my computer and pressed F8 and chose Safe Mode from the options. Was there something else I needed to choose? Oh well... I don't know if I'm gonna go back to Safe Mode unless someone else thinks I should.

And, well, I tried inputting the numbers you provided, and no luck. Still couldn't find a connection.

---

A couple of quick things that I can see.

The IP address is a 169. IP which means that the computer couldn't find the DHCP server and so it made up its own to try to communicate with other devices on the network.

A couple of things to try. First try the changing the cable on the router end to another port (it could just be a bad port). the other thing you can try it test the cable by plugging in both ends of the cable to the LAN side of the router and verify on the front of the router that the led are lighting up but don't leave this in as this causes a loop back and slows down the network. If that doesn't work try and reset the router you can do this by pressing in and holding down the reset button on the back of the router (please be prepared to reset all the parameters). Most routers have a backup feature normally in the admin tab.

If that still doesn't fix it try to use your laptop or another computer with the same cable and see if it works there (disable the wireless feature so that you don't get a false positive). And lastly go get you a NIC. you can get a PCI NIC (if you know how to open a case and insert a card) for about 25 bucks or buy a USB NIC that will keep you from opening your case.

Hope that helps,
Garrett

Thanks for your contribution, but I had already tried all of those methods. When I called the linksys support they asked me to switch ports and I tried it for all 4 ports. No luck. I also tried resetting the router. I really don't think the router or modem are the problem here, if they work with other computers then I'm receiving the signal perfectly. The only problem is my desktop computer.

I was thinking of buying a USB NIC, because I'm not much of a computer expert and not sure I wish to open the computer, but those are really expensive and may not even help solve my problem. :thumbsup: And I also want to know why this even happened, there were no power outages or anything to that matter. I just suddenly lost connection without notice.

Edited by s1owcomputer, 12 April 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#9 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

I was thinking of buying a USB NIC, because I'm not much of a computer expert and not sure I wish to open the computer, but those are really expensive and may not even help solve my problem.

There only 23 bucks Here.

As to what might be the cause, try to post a hijackthis log in the malware forum here

ubyte

#10 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

Ok the network support ... You can boot a windows OS in safe mode and disable the network support(the drivers that make the internet work)...

Seeing as the manual connection didn't work, I am wondering if the router is just rejecting the mac address...

Just wondering have you gone into the Administrative tools, and into the Services... To make sure that DHCP client and DNS client is running, and to make sure any and all networking services are running? And are on automatic...

Also when was the last time you were able to get online with that computer? Did you install anything or do anything different before you couldn't connect anymore?

#11 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Ok the network support ... You can boot a windows OS in safe mode and disable the network support(the drivers that make the internet work)...

Seeing as the manual connection didn't work, I am wondering if the router is just rejecting the mac address...

Just wondering have you gone into the Administrative tools, and into the Services... To make sure that DHCP client and DNS client is running, and to make sure any and all networking services are running? And are on automatic...

Also when was the last time you were able to get online with that computer? Did you install anything or do anything different before you couldn't connect anymore?

Just checked them today, apparently both DHCP client and DNS client are running (the status says "Started") and their Start-up Type is already set at Automatic. So I really didn't have to make any changes. And how would I be able to see all the networking services? I once checked my device manager on Safe Mode and it had more network adapters than just the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.

As for the last time I was able to access the internet... Well it was on April 8, 2009. And the last thing I remember doing was watching a Donkey Kong video on Youtube. I left to go get a hair cut, came back an hour later and the attention symbol showed up on the little computer screens in my Notification Area.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hello s1owcomputer,

To avoid confusion with either of these two topics: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/218838/unable-to-access-the-internet-could-a-virus-be-the-culprit/ in the Am I Infected forum and http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic219156.html in the HiJack This forum, I am closing this topic.

If you are still experiencing this issue once possible infection causes have been ruled out, send a Private Message to a moderator to reopen this topic.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users