Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't upgrade BIOS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DannyJoe

DannyJoe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Trying to upgrade BIOS on HP laptop w/ Vista Home Premium, Phoenix BIOS. Downloaded BIOS upgrade from HP website, sp42853.exe, and when it executes, gets to a point where Quanta.vbe shows up in Notepad with 6 lines of random characters. I can only close the window, then the Phoenix Winflash splash screen appears with options of "Flash BIOS" and "Exit". When I flash the BIOS, I get an error " Cannot locate file BIOS.WPH. Must locate file to continue." The only option is "OK". Then Windows comes up saying that the program did not install properly, Do I want to install with default settings, or do I want to say it installed correctly? Installing with default settings does not work. My Bios is version F.07, latest version is F.32. This BIOS upgrade was supposed to take care of periodic freeze ups according to HP tech support. I've had to recover from the "upgrade" several times with System Restore. One time I tried installing the upgrade, and my computer would reboot & shutdown every 2 minutes on its own unless you clicked on something in which case it shut down immediately! I've talked to 6 HP technicians and 3 Costco concierge tech support people about this so far and cannot find a solution yet! I believe that the quanta.vbe file is opening with the wrong program, but I have not been able to change the file association in Vista!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Sometimes, when you have a big jump in version numbers, it can screw up. You should try to update incrementally
F.7 to F.32 is a pretty big leap

Edited by garmanma, 12 April 2009 - 11:02 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users