Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen, No Signal on my 1st Build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 forceheretic

forceheretic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

Hey all,

I'm attempting my first build and have hit a road block right off the bat: my monitor is not receiving a signal. Everything powers on, all the LEDs are lit that should be lit, but I'm not getting anything. The mobo isn't beeping either. It's very possible that my hardware may be incompatible, as I'm doing this on my own with only online tutorials to guide me through; here are my specs:

Mobo: 1x ASRock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI ATX AMD

Processor: 1x AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor

RAM: 2x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Video Card: 1x SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Optical Drives: 2x Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

My processor didn't come with a heatsink, so I bought one off the shelf at Best Buy - it's Rocketfish brand.

I have a sinking suspicion that my video card isn't compatible, but if that were the case shouldn't I at least be getting beeps from the mobo?

I've tried a number of things already: clearing the CMOS, taking the motherboard out of the case, checking the PN1/PN2 connectors (although truth be told I'm not entirely sure how they're supposed to be connected), checking the processor, removing some RAM, and unplugging and replugging the video card in each of the three PCIE slots. Nothing has made any difference.

Any help would be great, as I've already sunk quite a bit of money into this. Thanks all.

Edited by forceheretic, 11 April 2009 - 01:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 forceheretic

forceheretic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

Ok, after some tinkering I got it to boot (hooray!) and am installing Windows now. I had to remove some RAM to make it boot, so either I didn't remove the right stick (if it's faulty) or I didn't remove enough (if the mobo was being confused by too much memory). Any tips on making it so that I can install the full 8 gigs?

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

RAM slots on ASRock motherboards are a little tricky. Once Windows is installed, you can try adding memory back, one stick at a time. You should try running a memory checker just to make sure the RAM is not faulty.

3939.png

#4 forceheretic

forceheretic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:16 AM

I've got good news and what might be considered bad news.

The good news is that my first build is a resounding success, and I had a blast building it.

The potentially bad news is that I may now be addicted to building computers...which is only bad because it will get expensive.

Thanks for your help, DJB!

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

"The potentially bad news is that I may now be addicted to building computers...which is only bad because it will get expensive."

Once you're hooked computers are like hot rods & boats, they're NEVER finished. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

I hope we don't need to do an intervention...

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users