Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 or Win XP Pro?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Prashant Patel

Prashant Patel

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

Can anybody explain in depth the difference between Windows 7 & Win XP SP3 pro. Which OS has advantage over whom? Also is Vista OS called Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

Windows Vista is Windows Vista, Windows 7 is a different Operating system from all Previous versions. It has similarities to Vista but it differs greatly especially in the way it uses system memory. As far as the Major differences between Windows 7 and XP you can see the new features added to Windows 7 on Microsoft's website.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Prashant Patel

Prashant Patel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

So should I migrate to windows 7 or not. I mostly use PC for work, therefore I'm asking.

#4 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Considering both Vista and Windows 7 are far more secure than XP, I'd say go with Windows 7 (especially since you're using it for work). Just make sure your system meets the hardware requirements unless you're going to buy a new machine in which case it would run fine on it (once it's released).

#5 Prashant Patel

Prashant Patel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Once it's released means what? And what should be the system configuration to install it?. I have downloaded Windows 7 Beta, would it be working if I installed it.

#6 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hello Prashant, "Once its released" means that it is not available for purchase yet. It is still in Beta.

As far as hardware requirements, here is some info from microsoft's website:

Windows 7 Beta recommendation:

1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor

1 GB of system memory

16 GB of available disk space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)

DVD-R/W Drive

Internet access

Note: Some product features of Windows 7, such as the ability to watch and record live TV or navigation through the use of "touch," may require advanced or additional hardware.

Edited by Helio, 14 April 2009 - 09:28 AM.

Resistance is futile.

#7 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

Betas aren't made to be used on production machines, if there are any issues with it such as compatibility etc it could cause real problems if you rely on the machine for work so I'd recommend going with XP for now. I apologize for the confusion, I thought you were asking about which one to use in the future once Windows 7 is final and not beta. It's never a good idea to run beta software, especially operating systems, on a computer that you rely on unless you've got everything you need backed up and you're prepared at any time to format and reinstall if necessary (which can be time consuming and hurt your productivity for work).

#8 Prashant Patel

Prashant Patel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

As on for now I'm running XP SP3 with 512MB Ram, Intel® Penntium® Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz (2 CPU's) on Laptop. I was thinking to upgrade OS for this PC.

#9 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

Any particular reason for wanting the OS upgrade?

Another thing to consider would be adding memory. I was never satisfied with the way xp ran with 512mb.
Resistance is futile.

#10 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

Agreed Helio, 512 is pretty sluggish these days, even on an optimized system. If upgrading to Win7 I'd go to at least 2gb, it seems like a lot, but considering the price of ddr2 (which is what your PC uses), it would be worth it for the speed and multitasking ability it would provide, especially since Vista and Win7 use memory in higher volume, but also more intelligently, than XP does.

#11 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

considering the price of ddr2 (which is what your PC uses)

How do you know this?

I also agree 512Mb would not be enough to run Windows 7. I think it's around 1Gb recommended now?
General rule of thumb, take what microsoft says is recommended to run the OS (1Gb), but if you want it to be able to do anything else once the OS is running, you should probably double the amount of recommended memory (2Gb).

I have installed the windows 7 beta on a couple of pc's here and i don't mind it, looks and feels better than vista!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#12 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:45 AM

How do you know this?

I know because of the processor that your PC has, systems that use a T series chips right now are all ddr2 based because of the front side bus speed and chipset support :huh: . As far as my recommendation, you nailed it exactly, MS always recommends the absolute minimum and I know from experience, the minimum is never enough for any software, be it a game, a photo app, an OS or whatever ;) . By the time you throw an anti-virus on there, even a very light one, you'll understand perfectly about "minimum" :huh: .

Edited by exile360, 16 April 2009 - 02:45 AM.

#13 TheStalker

TheStalker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

How do you know this?

I know because of the processor that your PC has, systems that use a T series chips right now are all ddr2 based because of the front side bus speed and chipset support :huh: . As far as my recommendation, you nailed it exactly, MS always recommends the absolute minimum and I know from experience, the minimum is never enough for any software, be it a game, a photo app, an OS or whatever ;) . By the time you throw an anti-virus on there, even a very light one, you'll understand perfectly about "minimum" :huh: .

I agree with what is said here. tbh i wouldnt even bother thinking of running 7 on any thing less then 2GB of RAM im sure it woulnt cost too much to upgrade the ram on your computer.

#14 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

How do you know this?

Talk about knowing your stuff:)

I usually use twice the MS recomended memory for the same reasons every one else gave. I really wish they would upgrade those minimum figures lol.
Resistance is futile.

#15 TheStalker

TheStalker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:34 AM

How do you know this?

Talk about knowing your stuff:)

I usually use twice the MS recomended memory for the same reasons every one else gave. I really wish they would upgrade those minimum figures lol.

Or state

minimum requirements (if you dont actually want to be able to do anything wiht your computer!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users