Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which drivers do I download for my motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bodmass

Bodmass

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

I'm about to do a re-install of my windows xp home 32bit. I've found my motherboard support info, but frankly I dont understand what all these downloads are. Do I want all of them? Are any of them likely to do any damage if I just download and try to run the lot of them?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=P4i65G&s=478

Edited by Bodmass, 11 April 2009 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

First download the ones for your operation system, XP in this case. Put them on your desktop, unzipped (in case they are zipped). You get new-hardware-found messages when you start the PC after a clean install. Just let Windows search for the drivers and it will find what you downloaded and install those drivers it needs. After that you can look in the device-manager if there is hardware listed unknown or with a !. Drivers for these you can try to install using update driver (right click on the device).

A good tutorial on this subject you can find here.

A driver will not do any damage and if it causes a problem you can always uninstall it by right-clicking the device and choosing uninstall/rollback driver.

Edited by elise025, 11 April 2009 - 12:27 PM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

Assuming a broadband connection: Make sure to download the LAN driver so you can get online. Others are really optional and will update when you do your "Windows Update". After you get your updates squared away, see what drivers you still need. Chances are the drivers you will download from the mobo site are older than what you will get from updates.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

FWIW: I've found the drivers updates (which are optional, not critical) available at Windows Update...to sometimes be unreliable (for whatever reason).

IMO, the best drivers to install after a clean install of XP...are probably the ones which we know already work...the ones that came on the drivers CD with the system/motherboard.

If those have problems...that's the time I visit the system/motherboard manufacturer for updated drivers.

My experiences with ATI products has me convinced that the newest, most current drivers...are not always the answer to component functionality.

As for determining what drivers need to be installed...I take a look in Device Manager first.

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

If I get multiple drivers available at a website...I read the detailed description provided for each driver download.

Louis

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Most of the time, the basic drivers are already included with Windows, such as the LAN ones. Once you're on the web, any other drivers will be downloaded through Windows Update. Occasionally, you may need to go and manually download the drivers yourself.

3939.png

#6 Bodmass

Bodmass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:47 AM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users