Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Installed Twice on same Partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

My computer was not booting up possibly due to a virus, so I decided to try to repair install Windows. Instead of repairing, I accidentally reinstalled Windows because I did not press "R". Then when I tried to boot, there are 2 Windows XPs to choose from- The new one and the original one that wouldn't boot.

All of my files still remain in the C Drive from my old computer along with a "WINDOWS.O" file, so I assume I just go into my new XP install and install these into in, or simple drag the Application Data into the new.

My question is how I can delete the original XP install from my computer. It has SP3 on it and I definitely do not want that, so I just want to get rid of it. Because I did not have the original XP CD, I had to use a friend's CD that he had downloaded from somewhere, but it is fine. It didn't even ask me to put in my CD Key.

How exactly can I do this?

I hope I gave enough info, please let me know if more is needed.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lance1

Lance1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Because I did not have the original XP CD, I had to use a friend's CD that he had downloaded from somewhere, but it is fine. It didn't even ask me to put in my CD Key.

Being that he downloaded XP from somewhere and slipstreamed this OS, and being that you install your friends OS on your computer makes it an illegal installation and falls this category in the forum rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Two XP installs on one partition...I've done that before :flowers:.

That means that you have 2 Windows folders...Windows and Windows.0, with the Windows.0 folder being the version that actually boots.

There's a problem with your programs...you cannot simply move installed programs from one install to another. They simply won't work, due to settings and connections which were on Install 1...not being transfered to Install 2. These settings will exist only for the 1st Install and can be changed only from within the 1st Install.

There's no problem with data files, other than the ones which may be in My Computer, My Docs & Settings. To access those files, you might have to take ownership...you may not. In case you do, How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

You can/should move your Favorites, email files, cookies from the bad install to the good.

Once you have moved whatever from the Old XP install to the New XP install...you simply delete the old Windows folder and your excess install is kaput.

You will have make a minor adjustment to get the boot.ini file to reflect the correct number of boot options for you (1 install, rather than 2), but this is an easy, effective way of doing that (after you have finished all else): Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

<<...I had to use a friend's CD that he had downloaded from somewhere, but it is fine. It didn't even ask me to put in my CD Key.>>

Well...you did not HAVE to, you chose to do that. Small potatoes to me, but that is an illegal XP install CD. I would not be surprised if your system continues to have problems or develops new problems, as a result of such. In the event that you do...you need to be mindful of the fact that official forum policy frowns on illegal downloads and such.

From the forum rules, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php :

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Louis

XP FAQ, Two XP Installs On Same Partition - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

#4 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

well, i did not know that he had illegally downloaded a copy... he told me he had just burned an ISO off of his CD and put it on the CD, or something like that.

I do not know what other choice I had... how was I supposed to fix my computer when Windows came pre-installed and they did not give me a recovery disc?

I actually found my Recovery disc in a folder tucked away in a cabinet in a drawer, so I just installed that one onto the computer as well, so I removed the "illegal" one that I had before. I still have the original one, however. I still have to remove that one.

I will try your remedy hamluis and hope that works.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users