Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to set up a wireless internet connection on one of my computers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KMFX

KMFX

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

The computer I have in my room right now is currently connected to the internet w/ wires, and we just got a new computer and it's in my other room down the hall. I want to connect that computer to the same modem with a wireless connection, while keeping the connection I have to this computer now wired. I asked my ISP about it and the guy told me that the modem I have supports wireless connections. So what all exactly do I need to hookup a wireless connection to my new computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Just the wireless card, and if the modem is under wep, then you will need the password...

#3 KMFX

KMFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

how do I know what wireless card I need/where could I buy one?

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

Well the wireless card, all you really have to do is make sure it is compatible with the mode of the router, and the OS of he computer... For instance if your router is a 802.11G, then you don't want a 802.11B wireless card... Though most these days will be able to mix modes, i.e. 802.11B/G/N...
You can buy one almost anywhere... Radio Shack, Wal-mart, K-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, ect. ect.

#5 KMFX

KMFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

how do I find out what mode my router uses? :S Sorry I'm clueless about these types of things.

#6 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

Well typically it should say, either on the box the router came in, or on the router it's self... If you do not find it that way, let me know and I will guide you through the process of getting the information through the router it's self.

#7 KMFX

KMFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Well I couldn't find any kind of info on the router itself except for model #s and such, and I no longer have the box it came in.

I'm using a Westell VersaLink Model 327W

#8 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

You can buy any wireless card from the stores mentioned and ask for wireless adapters. As all of them these days are compatible with others.

Here are some

Edited by sreez, 17 April 2009 - 09:37 AM.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users