Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to print wirelessly

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sammyj

sammyj

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

Hi there

I have a D Link wireless router which connects to my PC (XP Pro SP2) using a dongle (no internal wireless) and a laptop that runs Vista Home basic. The printer (Canon Pixma ip1800) currently connects on USB to my PC, and to print I have to disconnect it from the PC and plug it into my laptop!

What do I need to print wirelessly? I've heard mention of ethernet, print servers yadda yadda but I have no knowlege of this whatsoever!

words of 2 syllables or less please!!!!

Many thanks

S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Install the driver for the printer... If that doesn't work, scan the computer for AV/AS make sure nothing malicious is not blocking or preventing anything...

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

If your Desktop and Laptop are connected on same network using the router, you can share the printer on the local network. You may have to set up local network so both computers can share each others resource.

To share the computer over network, right-click on the printer name > Properties > Sharing > Share this printer.

#4 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

Hi Burn,

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well - I can print from my PC perfectly well on the USB cable, but if I want to print from the laptop I have to physically unplug the printer and plug it into the laptop!

Romeo, thanks for this - do I need to get any hardware or anything? How does the printer talk to the network? presumably there's got to be some kind of print server that I have to install somewhere to replace the USB cable?

Or should I just leave it connected to the PC and try to share it on the network that way?

S

#5 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

You don't need any hardware, turn the printer on and make sure its ready.

On the computer the printer is connected to, "XP pro" open printer and fax,

Click Start> printer and fax, then right click on the icon for the printer, click on properties. Now click on the sharing tab, click on the line starting "if you understand the security risks..........." A small window will open, click "ok" allowing it to run the wizard to enable printer sharing following the prompts. At the "select a connection method" prompt use the default setting (center dot is tic'd). Name the computer, use anything you like, for example "Print sever" or "main office" whatever you like will due.
Workgroup, using the default is fine, just make sure both computers are on the same workgroup, (Using the default will ensure they are).
The circle for "Turn on file and print sharing", that's what you want.
Let the wizard run, next window tic the circle for "Just finish the wizard, I don't need to run the wizard on other computers" and hit next again. Then finish in the next window.
Now the printer share window will be on the screen, tic the circle for "share this printer" and name the printer. Again you can use the default name given if you want or pick something else. Click apply then Ok closing the window.

Now go to the computer running XP home and right click on the taskbar, click on "properties" then the "start menu" tab and then the "Customize" button then the "advanced" tab. Now scroll down the list to "My network places" and tic the box.
Click "ok" then "apply" to exit out saving the changes.

Now click on Start> My network places, click on "view workgroup computers" (left side of window). Now click on the icon for the XP pro computer, now click on the icon for the shared printer you set up on the xp pro computer, you will see it list by name.

A small window will open, "you are abut to connect to a printer.............." click on "yes" It will install the drivers for the printer, the printer queue will open.

Click on "Printer" then "Properties" then the "Print test page" button.

It should print the page showing you did successfully install it as a shared printer.

If you have trouble let us know, it sounds like a lot all wrote out like that but is very simple to do.

#6 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

Hi Dan,

Well the wizard didn't run, but I found something about networking that went through the steps you described, so I've enabled print and file sharing but nothing's coming up on the laptop (which runs Vista incidentally not XP Home)

I've scanned for network printers but it's not there

I've checked the button on the printer properties to share it and named it, but there's nothing happening!!

#7 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

Hi Sammyi,

I doubt if your both laptop and desktop are in same network.

In Vista 1. Control panel-- > Network and sharing center

2. Find "setup a connection or network"

3. Make sure as Danr said that they are in same "WORK GROUP"

Also if there are any firewalls, just disable for once and try to see if that works. Once it works make sure you make "expections" for your devices

Cheers :thumbsup:

PS if you confused how to allow devices on firewall, let us know any 3rdparty firewalls you are using

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#8 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hi Sreez, Hi Danr

Well, don't ask me how, but I done it!!!!

I checked the workgroup, and in Network and Sharing Centre, I clicked on set up a connection then went into "Manually Connect to a Wireless Network"

Now, at this stage, I couldn't remember any of the security details or encryption so I left it open - I figured that the wireless key I set for the D-Link would stop anyone encroaching on it.

Also, I went back on the XP Pro machine and double checked the settings - interestingly enough, the Wizard hadn't picked up my wireless settings, so when it asked whether to use the existing shared connection, I said no, and configured it manually.

And Lo and Behold - somehow, with a lot of good advice from you, and a strong following wind - IT WORKS!!!

Thank you both

Sammyj

There I put in the workgroup name and then went into View Computers and Devices

#9 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

Sorry about the XP home mix up, yea vista is a little different setup wise, I must have mixed up yours with a different thread on another board.

Good glad to hear ya got it regardless!

#10 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

Hey, not a problem - it all worked out in the end!

Actually, I've got a completely different thing going on with a Linksys wireless router at my parents house - want me to start another thread?

S

#11 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Actually, I've got a completely different thing going on with a Linksys wireless router at my parents house - want me to start another thread?

Post it here if you want but may workout better if you start a new thread.

#12 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

ok well in a nutshell, it drops the internet with amazing regularity - I can still interrogate it locally (192.168.1.), but the DSL keeps going down and I have to reboot it on a daily basis - more than once a day most of the time.

#13 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Well that could be as simple as the router is dieing. I had two of the older "B" model linksys routers. One of them droped the WAN connection every few minutes. It couldn't hold it much more then about five minutes at a time and needed a reboot to get it back each time. The other one, same model wasn't as bad. Might last a day or two, sometimes as long as a week but would at any given point drop the connection just like the other one did. Both of them the LAN side still functioned just fine after the connection was lost, that was always readily obvious as I run two network surveillance cameras on the parking area.

Not saying it is for sure your issue but something to think about, what model router is it?

#14 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

eek - I don't have the packaging here but I'll find out. It's not been used in ages but it's about 4 or 5 years old - it's been in the attic for 3 years!

#15 sammyj

sammyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

Sorry for the wait!

It's a WAG354G wireless G ADSL Gateway. Like I said, it's been in the attic more than it's been used, but I don't know what the lifespan of these things are - why do they die eventually?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users