Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling DNS Client Questions????

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mrboyertown

mrboyertown

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hello,
Hopefully someone in this forum can help me. I have been having problems with malware on my computer when on the internet. I've been in the other forums that help with the removal and protection against these programs. In doing so I was instructed to load a mvps hosts file which helps with blocking alot of adware and banners when browsing on the internet. I found by doing this does help alot with blocking these annoying ads. I was also reading that when you have a large hosts file that you should disable your dns client. What I dont understand is, that when you are browsing your dns client caches the contents of the hosts file into memory. This way when you are browsing if you try and connect to a location on the internet that is already cached into memory by the dns client the computer doesen't have to contact a primary dns server and just retrieves the ip address directly from memory that has been put there either by visiting that site recently or has been loaded from the hosts file. Now if i disable the dns client, when i am on the internet wont the contents of my hosts file not be cached into memory, thus rendering all those sites in the hosts file (that should be blocked or in my case redirected) useless, because the computer wont have any information to go off of to block and or redirect these sites according to the text in the hosts file, because the hosts file has not been cached? It just doesn't make sense to me....maybe im missing or not understanding something completely. I am a novice at computing and an simple and easy explanation on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users