Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow start up and freezing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fas8253

fas8253

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

My computer sometimnes takes up to 10 minutes to start. Very often it simply freezes while surfing the internet.
HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:53 PM

Go to Start>Run> and type in msconfig. In the box that comes up, go to the Startup tab. Look at the checked entries and enter them into the Startup Database (found at the top of this page). Remove the check marks from any entry deemed unnecessary by the database. This will improve your boot time and also can identify any malware present.

Edit - I see you have been through the HiJack This process. After looking at your log I see a lot of unnecessary startups. Quicktime is a real resource hog, along with OSA.exe and I would also disable the MS Works entries. But go through the database and remove whatever you can live without and then you can add them back one at a time to find the offending entry. As far as Quicktime goes, it will add itself back to your startups anytime you use it unless you go into the program preferences and stop it from running at startup there. The consequence of not having these programs running at startup will be that they will take a few seconds longer to open but your computer performance will increase dramatically and the time it takes to boot will be much shorter, so its a good trade off.

Edited by Leurgy, 17 June 2005 - 06:10 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:25 AM

Also delete Temp internet files and folders, defrag regularly, may help speed up.

#4 fas8253

fas8253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:18 AM

Did all that and since then my antivirus program, Mcafee will not update automatically. Also spybot will not uopdate. Did it turn off something I need?
Now I'm getting Kernel32.dll error.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:51 AM

Certainly turn back on the McAfee components.

VSOCheckTask
MCUpdateExe
MCAgentExe
VirusScan Online
AntiSpyware
McVsRte

These need to running also.

StateMgr
LoadPowerProfile
StateMgr

See how it boots now. In order to pinpoint what is making the boot hang, add the rest back one at a time until it hangs again and you have found the culprit.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users