Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Overkill

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scruffbag

scruffbag

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:54 AM

Hi,

For the first time I have installed an integrated security package, namely Kaspersky Internet Security.

Prior to this I was using AVG Free for anti virus and Sygate personal firwall. Together with this I was and still am using Spybot Search & Destroy with tea timer active, Spyware Blaster and Winpatrol.

You may imagine the number of pop up warnings I get when installing or updating software!

The question is do I need this lot, is it security overkill or should Kaspersky cover all bases on its own?

Thanks
Derek Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

The basic rule is this, one active antivirus, one active firewall, the others on-demand. So you have to choose, personally I would keep Spybot, and remove AVG, spywareblaster and winpatrol. Use Kaspersky for realtime antivirus and firewall (if included, I dont know the program, but I think firewall is included).

If you like you can let a realtime-antispyware, but i think thats covered already by Kaspersky IS.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:07 AM

should Kaspersky cover all bases on its own?

The HIPS protection with KIS is only surpassed by sandbox or VM protection

Teatimer and Winpatrol duplicate efforts and shouldn't have been used together
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

Obviously I will continue with KIS. Apart from that I've disabled tea timer which leaves Spybot S&D as an on demand scanner. I like win patrol so still using that as was. For the moment I still have Spywareblaster running but not really sure if I need it.

Thanks again
Derek Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users