Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone tell me about these programs?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dragon Queen

Dragon Queen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:49 AM

and these that I list wasn't listed on the Uninstall List, so I have no clue.

Choice Guard -- whats that & do I really need it?
COMODO Internet Security & Surf Safe -- I know it goes to my firewall but do I really need it?
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System -- do I need this for my Office?
FrostWire
Glary's Utilities -- I scanned it didn't come up with anything but is it safe to use?
Hyper Cam
Malware Bytes
Shareaza -- I heard it was not trojaned or anything - don't know what to do about this
SwiftKit -- never did alert me when I scanned it once I downloaded it but I'm not sure.
Winamp

I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong catagory -- I didn't really see a catagory especially for this type of question.
You're computer is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of crap is on there!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:10 AM

Frostwire= ok to use
winamp = ok to use
hypercam = ok to use

the others ive never heard about

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

http://digg.com/microsoft/Windows_Live_Wav...is_Choice_Guard

You have to use google, these databases are never complete or upto date or even foolproof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareaza

Edited by DaChew, 11 April 2009 - 08:23 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

Frostwire is NOT ok to use, its a p2p-program, even if we let out the discussion whats legal and what not, by using a p2p-program, you practically invite malware to infect your computer.

Malwarebytes is definitely a keeper, a good on-demand malware scanner.

Comodo IS is ok, you need a firewall to protect you, windows firewall does not suffice. I am currently using also the antivirus realtime protection, and so far it works fine. It doesnt use much resources. Note that you should have only one real-time antivirus program enabled.

Edited by elise025, 11 April 2009 - 09:28 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

Please note that we are by no means endorsing any product, nor the use of P2P apps in general -- they add an unsecure access route for malware, whatever the specific program. With the knowledge of which applications are inherently clean, however, one can make an educated decision concerning their use.

http://www.malwareremoval.com/p2pindex.php

People will use P2P even with all the warnings, it is one of the best ways to get fatal state of the art infections

:thumbsup:
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

Well, I guess that all the practice logs I am doing have to be produced by someone....... :thumbsup:

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

like p2p is all bad >.>, yes it has negative sides, and yes it also had good sides

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#8 Dragon Queen

Dragon Queen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

Yea I know that frostwire has downloaded some files that had trojans and stuff but Comodo and Windows Defender takes care of the files for me but still yet I like to scan my computer about 2 times a week to make sure. But I'm leaning towards the decision to delete it though.
You're computer is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of crap is on there!

#9 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

like p2p is all bad >.>, yes it has negative sides, and yes it also had good sides

Just like any application, P2P programs can serve a purpose that might be beneficial to a user. Unfortunately there are many unwanted benefits to using such programs, and we see the requests for help from people that are infected via P2P every day here. Let me put it to you this way, why open a door to your house if you really don't know who you are inviting in? With training and guidance, P2P type interaction works well. To use it on an open, often uncontrolled free access environment is asking for trouble. We recommend not clicking into something like that, due to the problems that can occur.

Well, I guess that all the practice logs I am doing have to be produced by someone....... :thumbsup:

elise, this someone will be more than happy to give you some more insight on this topic. Trust me, by the end of your studies here you will be able to site numerous examples of infections that occur via file sharing and open ports.

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users