Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI port from video card blocked by case?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hi all,

I recently acquired a NVIDIA GeForce 7350 LE from a friend. My system, a ASUS M2A-VM has the PCI-e port, so it should fit.

When installing, the video card fits into the motherboard, but when I try to plug in my DVI cable, it doesn't fit. The case seems to be blocking it (see pics).

Posted Image

So does this mean that its a lost cause, and I'd have to change the case in order to use it?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

That looks like it should fit, unless the bottom of the port is flush with the metal of the case. I have problems plugging my DVI cable into my card, unless it is angled just right, it won't go in. If there is another slot for you to move the card to you can try that, otherwise you may have no alternative other than to get a new case with that GPU.

3939.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

you should be able to wiggle it in a little bit, but if you dont mind goin through a little extra work, remove all the components of your computer (even the motherboard) and pull out a handly dremel, and cut the slot out a little wider, clean out the metal shavings, make sure you do a good job, because they can short your computer out, and reinstall all your hardware.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:45 AM

That looks like it should fit, unless the bottom of the port is flush with the metal of the case.

Sorry I forgot to mention, but its actually the top part thats blocking it. The cable can't go in all the way (at the top) because the case seems to be blocking it.

If there is another slot for you to move the card to you can try that,

Unfortunately my mobo only has one PCI-e slot, and it's that one.

you should be able to wiggle it in a little bit,

Well I COULD, but then the card is bent, and that seems kind of "not so good".

but if you dont mind goin through a little extra work, remove all the components of your computer (even the motherboard) and pull out a handly dremel, and cut the slot out a little wider, clean out the metal shavings, make sure you do a good job, because they can short your computer out, and reinstall all your hardware.

Unfortunately I think that's a little too extreme for me :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

another thing you could try, would be to loosen the mounting screws on the motherboard, and see if you can move it down a hair and retighten them. or lossen the screw holding in the video card down and try moving the card down and re tightening it (being careful not to cause a bad connection on the motherboard or put it at a bad angle) not sure if that would work or not, but aside from a dremel or another case, thats all I can think of at the moment, if I can think of another Ill let you know.

Edited by the_patriot09, 11 April 2009 - 02:00 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Hertsky

Hertsky

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

My older computer had almost the same problem, I had to scrape off the rubber on the DVI connector just a little bit and push it in there at an angle. Yikes.
But I like Patriot's idea, it seems like it would do. Sorry I dont have any suggestions.

(Or can you cut off some rubber on the connector?)
Posted Image

#7 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

By moving down the video card "a hair", I can get it connected, but the vid. card is bent and I don't really like the sight of that..

Good idea about the rubber on the cabloe. Or is there any sort of "extension" that may fit that space?

#8 Hertsky

Hertsky

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

I hope you were able to get it to fit! And I hope it isnt to big of a bend :S yikes
Posted Image

#9 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:13 AM

Haha, actually I've decided to take it back out, as I don't like the sight of that bend :huh:

If I can't find any more work arounds there I guess I won't be able to use it :thumbsup:

Oh and while I'm at it, may I ask...Would it be possible to use the video card along with my on-board graphics, so I can have dual monitors? Thanks

#10 Hertsky

Hertsky

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

Can only use either your graphics card, or your onboard graphics. You can use your graphics card to support dual monitors (Most cards today have 2 DVI ports and either a TV like port). But I dont think ye can use your motherboard to support dual monitors unless there are 2 ports on there.
Posted Image

#11 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:09 AM

You can use your graphics card to support dual monitors (Most cards today have 2 DVI ports and either a TV like port).

Yup, that's what's on my other computer right now (the video card having two outputs), but unfortunately this video card in question only has a DVI output and S-Video.

But I dont think ye can use your motherboard to support dual monitors unless there are 2 ports on there.

My MB has two outputs currently, but I guess I can't use one of them alongside a "real" graphics card..

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:58 AM

You cannot use both your NVidia graphics card and the on-board since it is ATI. You would need two different display drivers which can cause problems. You would have better luck shaving down the DVI cable. The 7300 LE is a lower-end card with DVI, S-Video, and, usually, VGA ports. You also cannot use S-Video to a monitor unless the monitor specifically supports it. You cannot get a simple DVI to S-Video cable since one does not exist because DVI is digital and S-Video is analog.

3939.png

#13 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:03 AM

Thanks!

However, this video card only comes with a DVI & S-video port, no VGA. Guess that means, if I were to use it, I'd be stuck with only one computer monitor.

If I were to have a ATI video card though, could I use the on-board graphics alongside it?

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

That may be difficult and prone to problems since the on-board graphics and the add-in card will most likely be two different GPU types. I suggest purchasing a video card that has two DVI outputs. Since you cannot plug in the DVI cable in the PCI-Exress slot, you would also be limited to standard PCI cards. Believe it or not, they still sell them at Newegg.ca.

3939.png

#15 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

Since you cannot plug in the DVI cable in the PCI-Exress slot, you would also be limited to standard PCI cards.

That means that other cards wouldn't work with my case either?

Yikes :thumbsup:
Time to complain to the store I bought the computer from :S

Edited by funnytim, 13 April 2009 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users