Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Virtual Memory? Impossible, right?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zOmgRae

zOmgRae

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

My specs are currently as follows: Windows Vista 64bit, AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Processor, 8.00GB RAm, Nvidia GeForce 9800gtx+ (1gb).

Nothing at startup aside from my antivirus, etc. I run programs like City of Heroes/Villians, Left 4 Dead, Firefox, AIM, WMP, Corel Paintshop Pro X2. Not all at once, mind you... but still.

I've been getting the low virtual memory icon thing in the lower corner of my Startbar, and it happens mostly while I'm playing City of Heroes, which locks up my game and makes me crash. Also, sometimes in results in a loss of graphics (it goes mostly grey, although the game still runs and some world details are still present). What's going on? This rig is brand new. Two months old and I'm /already/ having problems?

I have run CCleaner, Degrag, etc. I keep this thing running very cleanly, or so I'd like to think. Please help me enjoy this awesome computer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

you need to get into your system properties, advanced, performance options, advanced, virtual memory, and make sure its set to computer managed size.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:45 AM

You might check the respective forums for the games in question as I've heard of others with similar issues. Often it is a flaw in the game's code that doesn't handle and release memory and/or video memory correctly and creates a crash situation, especially if it isn't designed for 64 bit systems and isn't large address aware (which most aren't). Some games that were known to have such issues have since had patches that corrected it, but I'm not sure about the games you referred to, however I do seem to recall hearing about similar reports regarding City of Heroes.

#4 zOmgRae

zOmgRae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

Thaaaanks, will do.

Also, I have it computer managed. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users