Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is this a virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 helen1963

helen1963

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

I am using windows 2000 professional....... computer was working fine till I viewed a profile on myspace ..got a flag from firefox so I ran a scan and antivirus and nothing showed then system started to lag big time so I rebooted .....have been stuck at "login loop" since .....no I have not fogotten password I am administrator have even pulled CMOS battery and reset that have the " 4 disk reboot disks" have tried every tip in recovery console that I can find........but nope ...can't get past .....the only thing I do NOT have is a ERD from my system and of course can not d/l that from anywhere cause it has to come from my system and I do not have a "real" copy of OS........and have never set up a network through router to the other computers in house.....so I can not view my system from one....unlessss hmmmmm I change wires around from router to make this computer the 1st one......I am getting veryyy frustrated I do NOT want to format because I have no OS to reload
ANYBODY?? help please ............someone on here who is not banned or something told me to download a program called Avira Antivir Rescue Disk and boot from CD but that started and then screen went blank and looked like a bad old black/white tv..........I seriouslyyy need help
Helen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,924 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

I do not have a "real" copy of OS

This forum does not endorse or recommend the use of pirated software, including the Windows operating system. Please read the BC Discussion/Message Boards Rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

With that said, infected systems on the Internet are a security risk to everyone. When someone uses an insecure or infected computer, malware spreads faster and more extensively, distributed denial-of-service attacks are easier to launch, spammers have more platforms from which to send e-mail and more machines become compromised so I will offer some suggestions you can try.

Another option is to create a Bootable CD:These are links to Antivirus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD files that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Edited by quietman7, 10 April 2009 - 09:52 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 helen1963

helen1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

thank you for your advice...but I must say that I am NOT using that computer ...I can't ...I can NOT get past login screen at all........I will read your information over veryyyy carefully and see what I can do ...I can Not burn a bootable disc from that computer at all ....can not get in .....so I will check it all out
sincerely
Helen

#4 helen1963

helen1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

well none of these programs will even start to run ......I have been looking at what is in the dir of C drive through the recovery console and the day that it happened there is a file that is called ........downloaded program files......but it will not let me delete that entry .,................anyyyyyyyy ideas????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users