Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freeze

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trebor193

trebor193

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

Hello all...I am using windows xp home.......computer is shared by a three different names.... when starting up in my name i can get to the desktop but when i click on icons nothing happens sometimes i get the the time glass emptying. If i start up computer and enter in sons name it works fine everything is accessible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:26 PM

Hi trebor193,

You probably have some malware on your system, or more specifically your log on or user account. I personally don't like the idea of disabling all sartups thru msconfig--if you have an always on connection (Dsl, cable,etc.) when you reboot you'll be on the net without any antivirus or other protection and it only takes a few minutes to get infested that way. It would be better to leave your security apps running and disable startups one by one til you find the culprit.

Actually there are much quicker ways. HijackThis is, in a way the ultimate startup manager. Malware, and some legit items, finds several ways to start that won't appear in MSCONFIG.

Follow the instructions in this tutorial to get a log posted:

How to post a HijackThis Log

We can usually pinpoint what the problem is fairly quickly this way.

Or if you like, you can open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and click on the processes tab. What seems to be taking up the most CPU and memory (besides system idle process)? Now click the performance tab--is the CPU maxed out?

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:15 AM

It would be better to leave your security apps running and disable startups one by one til you find the culprit.

I've seen antivirus programs (both Norton and McAfee) cause startup problems.. as well as ZoneAlarm.

You could always just unplug your internet until you find the culprit ;)
Shrinkwrapped - Free PC Therapy

#4 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

I too have faced slow startup when i was using Norton. Then maybe you should also see if your fragmentation levels are giving you this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users