Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple End Program Windows Upon Shutdown

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 AshleyO

AshleyO

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hi,

All is fine except when I go to Start ->Shutdown I get multiple small windows pop up saying such and such program (CCSvcHst, Auto Complete, Base To Pane Form, Parking Window) not responding End now. Sometimes the windows disappear by themselves sometimes not.

Background Info: This all started about a week ago......I tried to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 and it kept crashing (IE8 would start then I would get "The instruction at "0x04d6e8b4" referenced memory at 0x04d6e8b4". The memory could not be "written".) Uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs and went back to IE6....then noticed my computer running really slow (felt like I was on a really old computer) and I could barely have one application open, sometimes none. Something was definitely hogging the CPU speed etc. I suspected Malware/Virus but was not positive as Norton was on and has always caught everything.Then upon boot up I saw a system32 dll error which I googled (giveyaha.dll). I also checked the system32 windows folder and found more. That is when I found this forum, thank god. :thumbsup: Looking through the forum I found this topic (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic214438.html) very similar to some of my issues. Downloaded Malwarebytes' which crashed multiple times at first but finally got through and found 34 infections...mostly vundo and some BHO trojans.....after fixing those computer was much better but not quite right. Re-ran Norton Internet security scan which came up with nothing. Also ran Spybot, A-squared and Ad-Aware after that which caught a couple more.

I have scanned in safe mode with Spybot etc......checked windows files for repair, ran check disk, emptied cookies, temp files, etc. Defrag was run a couple weeks ago.....

Oh, I am aware the CCSvcHst is a Norton issue...ran the online fix tool which did not fix it. Before last week shutdown was fine, computer ran like a champ. Windows and Norton are all updated.

Not sure if I still have a virus or if is this a windows issues. Very annoying to say the least.

Any and all help is appreciated. Let me know if you need more details or information.

Thanks in advance,
Ashley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

I would do a scan with SuperAntiSpyware and see if it finds more viruses. It often finds things that others, including Malwarebytes, do not.

#3 AshleyO

AshleyO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Stang777. I did the scan and it did locate a couple more traces of Vundo which I got rid of. Thanks! However, I still have the shutdown issue...about 8 windows last time. It is still a bit slower than it was...applications take longeer to open/close. The indicator next to my power button that tell me it is processing something is constantly green or blinking and I can hear the computer doing something. Wish I knew what. I have only one window open. Not quite sure how to proceed......

Ashley

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:29 AM

Your computer has been compromised. The sluggishness of your system may be possibly linked to the infection(s).
You should post your HijackThis log in the HJT forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/)

#5 AshleyO

AshleyO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:35 AM

Thanks Romeo29 for the quick reply. I was starting to wonder if I was still infected. I will post over there.

Ashley

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

You are very welcome. Unfortunately, I do not know what could be causing those popups when you shut down the computer. The only things I can think of that might be slowing down your computer is if you enabled Tea Timer in Spybot and\or added Norton to your system right before it started slowing down.

One option you have since those popups just started about a week ago is to do a System Restore using a Restore Point that was created before you started having them pop up and also before you tried to install IE8.

If you do that, you might restore the virus even though the viruses should have been cleaned from your restore points too. Make sure to rerun SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes after you do a System Restore just to make sure.

#7 AshleyO

AshleyO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:05 AM

Stang777,

Definitely weird....Norton has been on as long as I have owned the computer...about to renew. I thought about system restore. Unfortunately after reading the forum topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/214438/very-slow-cpu-and-these-popups-download-registry-defender-spyware-doctor-and-2009-malware-removal/ which was similar mine when this started (same pop ups and slowness)....I followed the clean up step to disable and enable System Restore after I thought I removed the virus. After I followed that step I kind of kicked myself as I could have restored it to a week or two back prior to this nightmare. Sigh...what is done is done. At the moment it is way better than it was...felt like I was on a 20 year old computer. With all the viruses and malware I was ready to run over it. I posted over at the other forum so I will be interested to see what they say......

Thanks again,
Ashley

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

Bummer about the restore points, but oh well, like you said, what is done is done and atleast it is better than it was. I hope they can help you further on the other forum.

Btw, no matter how much trouble the computer is giving you, never, never, never, run over it with a car. You cannot do that to a car, afterall, you might hurt the car and you don't want to do that :thumbsup:

Good luck on getting it the rest of the way fixed and you are welcome

#9 AshleyO

AshleyO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:20 AM

Thanks! Hopefully all will be fixed soon.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hello AshleyO,

Now that you have a log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/218498/trojan-bho-vundo/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users