Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB problems are causing me to age 10 years.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MirrorImage

MirrorImage

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

My problem: Unrecognisable usb device/usb connection problems.

This is what i've been doing. The problem came up when my usb mouse stopped working than plugging it in i get the error.

I've Tried a fresh install on a new partition, even tried Vista. With the same result.

Tried all the usb ports on my desktop with the same problem.

Im Running Windows XP SP 3. The device is not bad because it works on my mac, and my windows partition on my mac as well.

my current device im trying to hook up is an external hard drive, trying to transfer files but it wont get recongnized.

I've tried many fixes.

- registry fixes.
- uninstalling the drivers in device manager.
- Unplugging the computer and letting it sit. Nothing.

How can all ports on a mother board fail? all at the same time? I figure its something to do with windows but why would it effect the other clean installs of XP and Vista? I need help because it seems like im gonna have to buy a new MOBO.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MirrorImage

MirrorImage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

a little bump for today. i wanna get this figured out before i buy a new motherboard and it not be the problem.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Go to the Control Panel
Double click the System icon
When the system properties open click on the Hardware tab
Open the Device Manager
Go all the way to the bottom of the list of devices
Is the USB on the list ?
Are there any obvious problems ?
[Like a ! on any]

Next go to the BIOS setup
Locate the onboard devices - USB.
If it has a setting for Legacy devices is it set to Enabled ?

"my current device im trying to hook up is an external hard drive, trying to transfer files but it wont get recongnized."

You don't mention what brand/model the external HD is but some require more power then some USB ports provide.
I had one that was really picky about what units it would work on.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hmm that is weird all the ports went. I would of suggested going through device manager, but it looks like you already tried that. I don't think it would be a software issue though if it just went all of a sudden.
First off, try clearing your cmos by removing the quarter-sized battery for a few minutes while the computer is unplugged.

Here's another idea: Do you have a usb keyboard? If so, connect it to the computer with no other usb devices connected. When the computer is booting, see if you can get into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, can you move around using the arrow keys? If it's working there, you know it's an issue with Windows. If it doesn't work, then your usb ports may have died.

As I'm not entirely sure what could be the problem, instead of a new motherboard, you can get more usb ports through your PCI slot with an add-in card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....to%20USB%20Card .

As long as your PCI slots are still working, which they probably are, an add on card should work.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 MirrorImage

MirrorImage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

Hmm that is weird all the ports went. I would of suggested going through device manager, but it looks like you already tried that. I don't think it would be a software issue though if it just went all of a sudden.
First off, try clearing your cmos by removing the quarter-sized battery for a few minutes while the computer is unplugged.

Here's another idea: Do you have a usb keyboard? If so, connect it to the computer with no other usb devices connected. When the computer is booting, see if you can get into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, can you move around using the arrow keys? If it's working there, you know it's an issue with Windows. If it doesn't work, then your usb ports may have died.

As I'm not entirely sure what could be the problem, instead of a new motherboard, you can get more usb ports through your PCI slot with an add-in card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....to%20USB%20Card .

As long as your PCI slots are still working, which they probably are, an add on card should work.

i dont have a usb keyboard but that is a good idea to try! thanks for the idea.

To the first person that replied. Its an external portable 160 gb hard drive, that worked before, doesnt require power as it only has a usb port. Like i said it works on my laptop and had worked on my desktop at one time.

I will try The keyboard thing first and i would have never thought of the PCI card untill my roommate suggested i try that too. so I might go in that direction.

On a side note does anyone know how companies such as ASUS handles warranties, do they sent you a product first than you sent them your faulty MOBO or do they require you to send yours first leaving you without a desktop for awhile.

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users