Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Business Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Lets say I were to start a computer repair business (work from home).

What anti-virus, firewalls, anti-spyware, etc, should I put on my client's computers?

I'd like a 3-in-1 (anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware), that is not a trial version and is really good with protection. But if they wanted to puchase, what would be the best?

I know SAS and MBAM are the best anti-malware, so those are without a doubt.

I also will put spyware blaster and teamviewer (remote desktop sharing for "emergency customer service").

What else would I need to do/know for protection methods?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Review this forum an select those that will fit?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Duke - Coming from doing a lot of computer repair myself... Using MBAM, would not be a good choice if you get a customer with a 64bit OS... Also in my personal opinion... If you have to ask, then you shouldn't be doing the business... And by some of the things you are saying... I will wish you good luck, cause if you get a tech who goes in there and asks you questions about your practice, I would hope he won't turn around and give you a bad name...

Also, I have been talking with a guy named Andy, who owns a computer repair business... This guy is a very brilliant man... He uses AVG, and Adaware... I personally would suggest using either AVG, or Avast on AV, and Adaware on AS... They are free, and they do have demo licenses as well... Plus they are very protective, and supported... (btw Avast is a AV and Firewall, in one package.. )

As for protection methods, one of my first rules is, NEVER ALLOW REMOTE LOGIN... Unless you are running a server and are seriously going to have the need for remote login... There is no point to having it allowable, it is far easy for people to exploit those services... It is far easy for someone to use a virus or spyware, to find the passwords (especially with windows).

Also if you do not have the knowledge to be able to direct a customer through what may need to be done, in the case of an emergency problem... Then personally, I would suggest not opening your own business until after you can...

I apologize if I am coming off a bit on the rude side... But to be honest with you, in the business world with computers, it is a cut throat world... And if you do not know what the hell you are doing, you will get chewed up, spit out, and be left with nothing for customers... Some customers will only go to certified places, some will test around, and get a feel of the knowledge base you have... Some will just say hey you know it so here... But you will always have competitors, that if they feel you are a threat to their business, will start doing what they have to, to make people go to them, or even to make you seem like a bad business...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users