Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Java problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MintJulep

MintJulep

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

I had Dell-installed Trend Micro Internet Security on my computer. After I was told to update to verision 16 (for Dell) the software would stop running with no notice. During the last "down time" my computer contracted a Trojan. After numerous phone calls, e-mails and fixes that didn't work, Trend Tech Support told me to send them a HiJack This log.

The tech that replied told me to delete a number of entries and that my computer would be fine. However, after deleting these items Java will not run and I get a red X in a box.

I have been to the Java site and it says "Oops! You don't have the Java installed or you have a version less than 1.4.2". When I attempt to install it (Version 6 Update 13) the installer downloads and a box pops up that says "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"

If I click NO, the box closes and of course nothing happens. If I click YES an error box pops up that says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." Then I see an error message at the top of the download page that says "We encountered an issue while trying to automatically install Java software onto your machine".

I checked the Add/Remove Programs list and Java is not listed. I deleted the Trend IS and now have avast and Zone Alarm. I have tried to download Java with both disabled but I still have the same results.

How can I get Java up and running again?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

In Add/Remove Programs, make sure all versions are removed
Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
See if it list anything related to JAVA and remove it.
Then try installing it again
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MintJulep

MintJulep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

In Add/Remove Programs, make sure all versions are removed
Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
See if it list anything related to JAVA and remove it.
Then try installing it again

Hi Mark, thank you for trying to help. I downloaded the installer Cleanup Utility, ran it and found nothing faintly resembling Java listed. I then tried to install it again and got the same error messages as I described in my earlier post. I double-checked one more time and Java is NOT listed in my Programs file and is not listed in Ad/Remove Programs. I do see the "coffee cup" icon in the Control Panel list but when I click on it an error box pops up with "System cannot find the file specified. C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre6\bin\javacpl.exe".

I ran HiJack This and found a reference to Java but I am definitely not experienced enough to know what it means.

I found:
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe (file missing)

I hope this makes more sense to you than it does me.

Thanks.

#4 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

I had a similar problem not long ago. New install wouldn't install because it thought an old version was still there. Got into the proverbial loop and wouldn't let me uninstall the old or install the new. I use Firefox with NoScript and had forgotten to turn off NoScript on the download page. This didn't occur to me until after the install/uninstall was failing. Windows Install Cleanup Utility worked for me, however.

If Windows Install CleanUp Utility doesn't show any Java versions on your pc, and you have no Java entries in Add/Remove, try downloading a fresh copy of Java for off-line install and give it another try. Maybe your original downloaded copy was merely corrupt en route and you're repeatedly installing from a corrupted copy. Just a thought.

Edited by buttoni, 10 April 2009 - 09:00 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#5 MintJulep

MintJulep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

I had a similar problem not long ago. New install wouldn't install because it thought an old version was still there. Got into the proverbial loop and wouldn't let me uninstall the old or install the new. I use Firefox with NoScript and had forgotten to turn off NoScript on the download page. This didn't occur to me until after the install/uninstall was failing. Windows Install Cleanup Utility worked for me, however.

If Windows Install CleanUp Utility doesn't show any Java versions on your pc, and you have no Java entries in Add/Remove, try downloading a fresh copy of Java for off-line install and give it another try. Maybe your original downloaded copy was merely corrupt en route and you're repeatedly installing from a corrupted copy. Just a thought.

I tried to install Java manually after a new download but the vicious circle began again and it would not install. If I DO have java, where is it hiding?

This is very frustrating and I really appreciate both of you trying to help.

#6 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

Most likely there are entries still in your registry. Editing that is too risky for the average user. I've rarely done so and only with expert guidance on forums for a specific entry. Like I said before, the Windows Uninstall CleanUp Utility found and cleaned up all Java on my system allowing the fresh install. At this point, you too probably have a totally borked Java install with bits from the old version and bits from the new, which is what I had.

You mentioned the TM folks had you "fix" some entries on your HJT log. Have you tried opening HJT, click Open Misc Tools, Backups and reinstating the backup entry(s) that are Java related? That might get you current (albeit bad) installation to allow WCU or the program mentioned below to be able to fully uninstall what Jave stuff IS now on your system.

Revo Uninstaller, a free program, is often recommended & used by members here at BC. You could d/l & see if it recognizes any Java on your system. I personally have installed Revo not long ago but have not had occasion to use it yet, so I'm not really familiar with all its features. It's my understanding it can also be set to check in the registry for orphaned entries. Perhaps someone more familiar with Revo will step in here for a little extra tutorial/guidance. If not, scroll down to their FAQ link at the bottom of the web page for much information on how to use the program.

Here's a link to the download page: http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Edited by buttoni, 11 April 2009 - 01:18 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#7 MintJulep

MintJulep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

Most likely there are entries still in your registry. Editing that is too risky for the average user. I've rarely done so and only with expert guidance on forums for a specific entry. Like I said before, the Windows Uninstall CleanUp Utility found and cleaned up all Java on my system allowing the fresh install. At this point, you too probably have a totally borked Java install with bits from the old version and bits from the new, which is what I had.

You mentioned the TM folks had you "fix" some entries on your HJT log. Have you tried opening HJT, click Open Misc Tools, Backups and reinstating the backup entry(s) that are Java related? That might get you current (albeit bad) installation to allow WCU or the program mentioned below to be able to fully uninstall what Jave stuff IS now on your system.

Revo Uninstaller, a free program, is often recommended & used by members here at BC. You could d/l & see if it recognizes any Java on your system. I personally have installed Revo not long ago but have not had occasion to use it yet, so I'm not really familiar with all its features. It's my understanding it can also be set to check in the registry for orphaned entries. Perhaps someone more familiar with Revo will step in here for a little extra tutorial/guidance. If not, scroll down to their FAQ link at the bottom of the web page for much information on how to use the program.

Here's a link to the download page: http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I didn't realize you could restore deleted files with HJT. I restored what I found but they were no help, java still would not install.

I downloaded and ran Revo but no where is java referenced.

Maybe I just need to buy a new computer, I'm beginning to think this one is toast. :thumbsup:

#8 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

MintJulep - maybe this will help you

Download and run JavaRa This is a tool that removes old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment.

JavaRa will check if your computer has the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE). If the version you have installed has been superseded by a newer version - which is what you indicated in your first post

I have been to the Java site and it says "Oops! You don't have the Java installed or you have a version less than 1.4.2

JavaRa will download and install this newer version for you, by running Java's update program.

tork

#9 MintJulep

MintJulep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

MintJulep - maybe this will help you

Download and run JavaRa This is a tool that removes old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment.

JavaRa will check if your computer has the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE). If the version you have installed has been superseded by a newer version - which is what you indicated in your first post

I have been to the Java site and it says "Oops! You don't have the Java installed or you have a version less than 1.4.2

JavaRa will download and install this newer version for you, by running Java's update program.

tork

Tork, I'm making some progress. I downloaded and ran JavaRa which found some java files. It downloaded and installed a program but I'm not sure if it is what I'm supposed to have or if I need something in addition to it.

In Control Panel I clicked on the Java coffee cup and got the error message
"System cannot find C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre6\bin\javacpl.exe".

I did a search on my computer for "javacpl.exe" and found C:\ProgramFiles/Java/jdk1.6.0_13\jre\bin

Where do I go from here?

Thanks.

BTW, I am not getting e-mail notification of replies (even though that option is checked) so if I am slow in answering, don't give up on me. I try to check the forum every so often to see if there is a reply.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

BTW, I am not getting e-mail notification of replies (even though that option is checked) so if I am slow in answering, don't give up on me. I try to check the forum every so often to see if there is a reply.

Any other option than 'immediate' seems to be having problems for some. We have done extensive testing and cannot find the problem. What setting are you using?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 MintJulep

MintJulep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

I checked the box for "Enable email notification of replies?". I received a notification when the first reply was posted but none since that time. It's really no big deal, I check the forum every few hours just in case someone has figured out what is going on with my Java.

Good luck.
MJ

#12 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Read through Java Download/Install Problems

#13 MintJulep

MintJulep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Tork, thank you, thank you, thank you. I now have jave and it WORKS.

Did I say thank you? :thumbsup:

MJ

#14 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

MintJulep,

You're welcome

tork