Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

I installed Avast on my computer today. It shows that this is a 60 day demo, what do I need to do at the end of the demo period? Also, it stated that Avast conflicts with some portions of ZoneAlarm (which I also use) and I was instructed to 'disable Webshield Transparency Proxy Mode'. Will cause me any problems?

Also, this may be a silly question but does an antivirus program 'prevent' a virus from getting on your computer or does it 'detect' virus's when you run a virus scan?

rlight

Edited by rlight, 10 April 2009 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

at the end of the demo period you need to enter the product key which they will email to you.you should not run 2 anti virus programs at the same time

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

To be exact, you need to register your copy of avast! here: http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

They'll send you a license key, then follow these instructions: http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm

avast! detects and removes viruses, and it also prevents most of them from getting through. Remember that the free version does not have scheduled scanning (the last time I checked), so you need to manually scan your computer regularly.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

How can an antivirus prevent a virus without detecting it first?
Similarly, what kind of stupid antivirus would only detect and not prevent virus from getting in?

Avast! uses Webshield HTTP proxy component, so all HTTP internet traffic passes through it and Avast! can scan viruses, spywares and malwares etc before it can be accessed by any other software like Internet Explorer. It can be uncomfortable when downloading files, because Webshield would scan the entire file as it is being downloaded.

Some firewalls that come packed with anti-spyware or anti-virus components, warn when you install a 3rd party antivirus. You should disable the antivirus component in the firewall when it happens.

#5 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

Great!! Thanks for the info.

rlight

#6 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

One of the reasons I have come to really like Avast, it scans everything that comes in... Not to mention that it also scans any file that start running, as well as it is always scanning your computer non-stop, though for some of the much older machines, this can take up a bit more of your resources, but with all of the protective services running, I have found that a total of 50mb of ram is used up, and I have rarely seen any of the services take more then 1-5% of the processor (the 5% was on a P3 1ghz processor)...

rlight - On a personal note, I personally would trust Avast's web and network shields over Zone Alarm any day... I tried using Zone Alarm, and broke into my own computer, but with Avast, using the same methods as I did with Zone Alarm, it blocked my attempts, and also notified me that someone(I) was attempting to break in... Though in the past 4-5 years it is more then possible that Zone Alarm has improved... But with the fact that Avast notifies me of any connection that is trying to install malicious code, or anyone who is trying to break in, and stops it... I would go with Avast...

#7 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Avast! Home Free may not support scheduled scanning, but if you leave your computer on most of the time it can be set up as the screensaver. Set as the screensaver it will scan when the screensaver activates and loop scan until the computer is used again.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users