Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot start computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shinners

shinners

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

hello guys,

can anyone advise me on this problem im having.

When i switch on my PC it brings me straight into the page where it asks me if i want to run windows from safe mode etc....

it gives me 5 or 6 options ( safe mode, safe mode with networking, last know point...... and 1 or 2 more options )

its a black screen with options in white letters.

if i choose any option, it brings me back to start up and the same screen appears a few minutes later.

so its like a loop effect. I cannot get passed this page.

Im running with windows XP, the Pc itself is roughly 5 years old.

Does anyone have any idea how i can bypass this? i do not have access to the initial Windows installation disks.

i am logging in from a friends laptop at the minute.

any help would be greatly appreciated, and i would prefer not to have to bring it to a repair shop as it can cost too much for the age of the pc, and i do not want to loose all my data.

any ideas>>???

thanks in advance.

shinners :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

If you don't have a Windows CD you can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users