Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question! Take a look!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

Just a question.. When you get a Virus/Malware/Trojan/Spyware any threats.. You go on to Bleepingcomputer.. post your problem, and wait for a reply back, do you find it fun following the instructions posted by a member of the forums?

Or do you find it plain boring?

I find it Fun.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

I find it interesting. Its not fun in the normal sense. But it is interesting to me. I've always liked tinkering around in my computer haha.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:17 AM

I typically dont post problems about viruses, I rarely get them and when I do I can usually handle it myself. as far as hardware, I enjoy getting feedback on an issue thats been driving me crazy. Im always tinkering with computers, and I love learning more about them, and on occasion Ill run into a problem with a build or software im using that I cant figure out myself and Ill ask here, and theyll explain it to me, and then I go duuuuh Im a moron, and I learned something new, I enjoy that, and even better is sometimes Ill post something that I think I know everything about, and someone else will post a better way of doing it or explain something in a lil better detail that I didnt fully understand, and I learn from that to. Thats where the fun is. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

I don't think I'd be here right now if I didn't think it was fun :thumbsup: .

The best part however is when you help someone and it actually solves a problem they've been having. I think a simple "thank you" is enough to make the bleepingcomputer experience fun, and to keep me coming back!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

Lets face it, if it wasnt fun, why should I spend time trying to fix logs (well, apart from annoying the coaches.... LOL)? But if I had the problem on my PC.... no thanx... I enjoy fussing with malware.... unless its on my machine....

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

It is fun, sure. But it's oh so necessary nowadays to learn as much as possible about one's own computer.
It's more cool than fun.
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

#7 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

To me those logs are an invasion into my privacy of what I use the computer for.
Same thing as inviting the police to search your home.
With the tools available for malware removal it's a do it yourself thing now days with a little self education on how to use them.
So to answer your question I would say no it's not fun...........intriguing perhaps.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Couldn't agree more,with you Mishy.
I read hundreds of posts on Security,and try to educate myself.
If I get a nasty,most times Grinler has a fix for it.Thanks Grinler.
I will never post a HJT any more; for the privacy aspect.
Besides, I am not prepared to wait for up to a week, for help.
If I can't get rid of the Malware in 2 or 3 hrs,I get Windows reinstalled.
A fresh install is a good idea,as it gets rid of the garbage collected over time. :thumbsup:

#9 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:09 AM

For the most part, I wouldn't post a log unless I have to (such as if another sort of infection decides to go campus wide....which that was....really....nasty.....*insert seizures of bad memories here*). Of course, I wouldn't mind posting a log from my brother's computer if his desktop decides to get infected (actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it was infected. Internet connected + no AV + arrogant "know-it-all" attitude = I'm pretty sure it's infected).

Me, I try to learn through self-educating in some areas such as basic security, understanding what's running around, etc. Of course, I will lurk into the HJT forums to see what's going on there too (even if I have no idea what's going on unless it's easy to tell such as Virut or TDSS or someone randomly obvious).

With the tools available for malware removal it's a do it yourself thing now days with a little self education on how to use them.

Not really. There are some tools that one can't learn through self-education. Some things, yes, you can learn through self education (I did that for the most part with SDFix (even though I rarely use it at all)). Some things you will never learn through self education unless you're some kind of prodigy (such as combofix....well.....because any information on its use and whatnot is meant for private eyes only).

Wow....my stupid rambling must stop!

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#10 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

I learned alot following an expert's instructions. I found it fun also. I enjoyed learning more about security. I do not enjoy posting a HjT log these days because I should know how to handle any trouble.

To MishY, yes it can be quite disconcerting or embarrassing when something is found that hints to what you are using the computer for. I myself would have no problem inviting the police into my place to search if they had to for some unfathomable reason. There is a bit of personal information included in a HjT log also.

I find the self help guides very useful also once in a while. I don't have much problem these days with virii or malware really. I know how to stay secure.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:27 AM

I think you are revealing too much to the internet World by posting a HJT Log.I realize that often it's the only way to completely clean an OS.If it got to that,I would definately reinstall rather than post a Log.
If I posted a log now,it would show Bit Comet.First thing that comes to mind,is I am into P2P,and downloading copyright protected material.WRONG.I use Bit Comet as my default downloader for all software.
So much faster than Opera and IE.
One only has to go through the previous fixes in HJT Logs and there is a good chance someone has had the same problem as you.I see no harm in self educating and taking notice of the Experts when they say don't run Combofix,or others, without supervision.
Safe Surfing,having all your Security Programs and Patches up to date,and very rare should one ever have to post a HJT Log.
Not taking anything away from the marvellous job,HJT Trained experts here on BC,who work tirelessly to help fellow members.I saw recently, where one HJT trained expert,actually went without normal sleep, to help a fellow member.That's commitment.
Kudos to all of them. :thumbsup:

#12 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:37 AM

To me those logs are an invasion into my privacy of what I use the computer for.
Same thing as inviting the police to search your home.

While the first part of your statement here is true in some way (as in certain programs used to diagnose can show what files/folder names were created recently), the information provided is fairly limited and harmless. You actually divulge more of your "private" self by posting in the general chat and speak easy then you do by providing, say, a HijackThis log.

So to answer your question I would say no it's not fun...........intriguing perhaps.

If this was the case, would we have backlogs of 10+ days worth of posts? I'm not talking about just BC, but all of the security related boards that handle such topics. If diagnosis and removal was that simple, would there be such a huge influx of people asking for help? This area of knowledge is one where this old tidbit of wisdom applies: A little knowledge can be hugely harmful. Just ask all the do it yourselfers who ended up having to reformat after "fixing" their own computers into not booting.... Everyone is encouraged to learn how their computers work. Not just how to run programs and watch the 'magic' happen, but truly understand the 'logic' behind it.

Just food for thought.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:04 AM

the information provided is fairly limited and harmless. You actually divulge more of your "private" self by posting in the general chat and speak easy then you do by providing, say, a HijackThis log.

Don't agree with your statement, Galadriel. A HJT This Log to me, is a blueprint of your prefered surfing habits.
Example.If someone has Peer Guardian,or the like installed,it's not hard to guess what they are doing.See my point.
I could be wrong. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 15 April 2009 - 04:18 AM.

#14 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:32 AM

Don't agree with your statement, Galadriel. A HJT This Log to me, is a blueprint of your prefered surfing habits.
I could be wrong. :thumbsup:

A homepage setting and search settings are blueprints of your surfing habits? Because that's about all HijackThis will show in terms of surfing information. It doesn't list favorites, won't list cookies, doesn't list IP addresses and only shows running processes and installed programs. I truly don't see what all the big fuss is about. Like I said above, you provide more information about yourself in general chat posts than you do with a HT log.

HijackThis is not a personal data miner, it's a registry settings front end for troubleshooting purposes. When any private/personal information is shown in a posted log, a moderator or Team member edits it out. We even go so far as to edit email addresses to prevent spamming. I'm a strong defender of privacy and when I see something that can be used for harm being posted, I act on it and get it out of view asap. Honestly, HijackThis really doesn't give much info on you, it shows a great deal about the computer's settings, yes, but not about you as a person. Yes, I can extrapolate that such and such user probably enjoys music, because they have itunes installed, or that they use Firefox instead of IE for browsing the web.... is any of that really particular to a specific user? I don't think so.

You can disagree if you wish, that is everyone's right. :flowers: All I can do is give an honest overview of what really is seen and can be extrapolated from posting a HijackThis log.

Edit - I always preview and am glad for it. I just saw the comment you added about PeerGuardian. This isn't a debate about whether it's legitimate or not to use P2P, and I certainly won't get into it at 4 in the morning lol. But I can bring the question back on track and to you, what does it tell you when you see PeerGuardian? Because I can think of a few good applications for using it. Personally, I don't judge people or assume I know what their intentions are based on what programs they run. I leave that for others. My interest in analyzing logs is to get the member some help with cleaning up the malware or fixing a problem.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

Excellent reply.Galadriel. Clears up some misconceptions,on my part. Thankyou. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users