Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Based Training CDs ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spiderman1

spiderman1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:33 PM

Has anyone used Computer Based Training CDs to get their training done. I have no time on my schedule for classrooms, so I'm counting on these Computer Based Training CDs to get the training I need. I'm planning on getting mines at CBT Planet. It looks pretty promising, tell me what you think http://www.cbtplanet.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:56 PM

What are you going to be studying?
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:19 PM

I have used training CD's from Keystone Learning. They were pretty good. IMHO they are just as good as taking a one week crash course. Plus, you can always reference them if you want to review a subject later. My manager told me I could do them at work when it wasn't very busy, Guess what, it was always too busy to look at them, so I ended up doing them on my own time. I did the A+, and Network +. I wrote the test for Network+, and found the material that I used sufficient enough to write the test and pass. I almost forgot, the training CD's came with a testprep. They were a big help.

Through work, they now just give us a subscription to a website that has an entire of library of courses, from A+, MCSE, to CISCO. I believe they pay a flat fee for everyone in our company.

Good Luck.
JC

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

I went to a certified school for all of my stuff (A+, Net+, Sec+, SCNP, MCSA) they had all of the stuff I needed to study for my certs, including practice tests. They also let me take the tests as many times as it took to pass.... took me three times to pass SCNP.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:34 AM

Back in 98 I decided I wanted a change and went back to school. I was intrigued with computers but could barely figure out how to turn one on. I spent the best part of two years studying computers and ended up with a College Certificate. We had a computer lab where there was about 35 computers. We pulled them apart, reassembled them, upgraded them and networked them. Part of the course was building a computer to take home and keep.

My point is that all this "hands on" work was invaluable. Its all well and good to have books and CD's to study from but nothing is as good as being able to apply what you are studying in a real time situation. Hopefully you will have at least three computers with different operating systems to experiment with.

Its hard to look at a website and determine if the quality is going to be there. I would suggest you do a little digging and find out who publishes these CD's. I imagine that cbtplanet doesn't write them, but just distibutes them. What kind of support do they have in case you can't figure something out and want to talk to an instructor? Are they willing to give you references, ie. people who have actually used these courses to pass their exams?

Their prices look ok compared to what those courses would cost here. I'm a little out of the loop as to what the tests cost these days but as far as I know you have to pay for each test you take for any particular course. You have to pay to take it again if you don't pass too, unlike effizzer's situation. You may be able to find somewhere locally to write your tests as I'm sure that you don't have to buy the tests from cbtplanet, or do you?

Good luck.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users