Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Language Barrier

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:20 AM

Many a website, and sometimes items I have purchased over the Internet throw another language at me like Chinese, German etc. As I know only one language myself, English. What I would like to find out is, are there any programs to help overcome this barrier? At the moment I am having to use one of the free Internet translators which is not all that accurate, plus it's very time consuming. It would be nice to simply click onto something that translates everything automatically. I can't imagine there is no such program available. Is there :thumbsup: anyone knows where I can get such a program. If you do, please let me know. I would be most grateful. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:00 AM

The only thing I know of for a sure fix would be to switch to linux
Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet
clicking Willy Nilly and installing or downloading everything in site

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:43 AM

Some pages have built in translators. If you use IE you can translate it automatically. There is language things you download from microsoft update!
I have never used them but they should work. Go to www.microsoftupdate.com and see if you can find any there. Or even www.microsoft.com. I might can get you a link to the language things let me check!

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:54 AM

Ok here it is a webpage that tells you all the details. I sure hope this works for you!
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/explorer.html
Please tell me if it does!
CGM3

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:24 PM

Thanks a lot. I will try both your suggestions. Had to be away from the PC for awhile and come back to find someone offering help so soon. It's great knowing there are others out there willing to help you out of a jam. Thanks again, and you can be sure I will let you know how I get on.

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:10 PM

As I said, I would get back to you guys. First of all the bears Linux. Seems this invoves swopping to a completely new opperating system. ummmmm, Seems a bit drastic a step to make just to solve one problem. Thanks anyway bear. Who knows, you may be right, so I will keep it in mind in case all else fails.

So then we come to what seems the best solution although I have yet to see if it will work. The problem is cowsgonemad3, I clicked the link you gave me, and yes, I found what seemed the perfect solution. So without any hesitation I went to IE>Tools>Internet Options>etc. Got to the part where it asks you to select a language, but the first one I looked for, 'German' was not there. So I followed the additional instructions and clicked on Wndows Update to download additional languages. That was over half an hour ago and I'm still waiting for that page to open. Still I don't give up that easy so I'll get back to you tomorrow. Looks like you may have come up with the right answer for me though. Thanks to you both.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:48 PM

Thats great I hope it works!

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:23 PM

No I dont guess but not all pcs are the same! I dont just guess~!

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:30 PM

~ Do I smell troll? ~
Posted Image

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:40 PM

Troll who? Waters!

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:59 PM

Actually waters is brunt who is no longer welcome on this board. Not sure why he continues to do this after the trust we placed in him, but what can you do. There are immature people everywhere. Just ignore him and trust me we are doing what we can to remove this problem

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:07 PM

Just what I thought. The Pink Floyd reference as in Roger(Waters) + the avatar smacked of his prior avatar styling.
Posted Image

#13 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:57 PM

Learned somethng new today WIndows has a translator :trumpet:

Saw something new today Cowsgonemad new sig is Much nicer than the previous one :inlove:

Made yet another plug for Linux which by the way happens to be the very best os ever :flowers:

Oh And Roger waters and Pink Floyd Rule :thumbsup:

Edited by The Bear, 22 August 2004 - 07:57 PM.

Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet
clicking Willy Nilly and installing or downloading everything in site

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:18 PM

You like my sig? I am able to make lots! Man brunt being kicked off came as a shock. He lied to me and said it was a page error and grinler was fixing it last night in the chat room! Why who knows! Bear you want me to make you a sig? If so got anything you want as of color and style? Curious....

#15 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

You could try Opera as a replacemnet for your IE. Just d/l the free program (sorry I dont have a link). I use it from time-to-time, and seem to remember a way to translate built-in. If I remember correctly, you can highlight text, right-click and select translate. If it doesnt work, you could always uninstall it anyway.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users