Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot use external drive, scan disk, defrag, internet blocked etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Davis

Ben Davis

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

Hi,

I am currently fixing a friends laptop, for over a year now he has been surfing the internet without any antivirus/spyware/malware protection, despite my pleas.

Well not surprisingly things have started to go wrong.

Using Spybot, AVG 8, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and what ever else I could find I think I've managed to get rid of most of the infections.

Now the reason I'm writing in this forum and not the 'Am I infected? What do I do?' is that I'm not 100 percent sure the issues remaining are Virus related.

I cannot run chkdsk - 'Windows was unable to complete the disk check', when I try this via command prompt and schedule the computer to check after restart, it boots straight into Windows.

I cannot run defragger (probably linked to the above issue)

I cannot perform a system restore.

When I try to view the contents of a USB thumb drive I get the following message: "E:\ is not accessible. The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded."

I also have difficulty accessing the internet.

All anti-virus programs had to be transferred via a CD.

Now could this simply be an issue with the C:\ drive or still a virus?

Microsoft Windows XP home edition SP2

Thanks a lot for your time,
Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I suppose an enlightened opinion...would depend on how much reliability one can have in your ability remove a host of malware from a system.

Me...I just would have done a clean install, rather than try to do surgery and remove the harmful effects which may run throughout the O/S. I would not even have tried the AII forum, no matter how much I respect their efforts and abilities to recover from some disastrous situations.

You have 3 basic key XP functions (that you know of) which are not functioning properly...there may be more.

Have you taken a look in Event Viewer?

Are the latest XP critical updates installed? Can you access the MS website or Windows Update?

If the user doesn't employ any AV protection...how about a firewall?

Louis

#3 Ben Davis

Ben Davis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

My apologies,

I'm pretty certain that I still do have a virus - Win32.TDSS.rtk Every time I try to remove it, it simply reinstalls as soon as I boot into Windows.

I did follow this method, plus extra scanning with AVG8 and Spybot, but with little success and what ever virus it is, is stop virus removal on start-up including CHKDSK

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...hp/t189751.html

I think I'm just going to have to back-up what I can and switch to Ubuntu. There is some thing seriously wrong with the C:\ which means Ubuntu cannot see the Windows Partition.

Anyway, you can go ahead and close this thread.

Thanks anyway for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users