Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube.cm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jarwulf

jarwulf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

I accidentally mistyped and went to youtube.cm where some jagoff decided to put a virus. Anyway Avast threw a fit about a virus even with Firefox and NoScript. Avast says it blocked the virus but usually when something like this happens I notice that the virus usually gets past and infects the computer anyway. I'm running windows firewall and have it completely updated as far as I know (no yellow shield). I also was surfing on a limited account. Should I be worried and take additional steps to make sure its not infected?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

Avast only scan virus. so have to make sure about that your computer does not infected by any spyware and adware also.
for checking spyware, you have to install malwarebyes spyware removal tools . it is very good and trusted software to detect any types spyware and adware virus .
it is easily available on net free ( as MALWAREBYTES )

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Avast only scan virus. so have to make sure about that your computer does not infected by any spyware and adware also.

Avast! has inbuilt antispyware and antirootkit.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

I would say you are probably OK, but if it will help you feel better, you can go to Windows Live One Care and run the antivirus there. Since Microsoft is behind the site, it should know what to look for... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 jarwulf

jarwulf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

If a virus gets on your computer on a limited account can it gain even more control once you log on as administrator even if you did not specifically catch it or click on an infected file while as administrator?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users