Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is a good firewall for windows xp?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MoMo27

MoMo27

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hi! I was wondering if anyone recommend any firewall program that is really easy to understand, but very protective? I caught a virus earlier and had to completely restore back to the manufacturers settings. I want to make sure this doesnt happen again. I dont really know much about computers so does anyone have any recommendations?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:32 AM

One of the easiest I would recommend would be Avast Anti-virus.. It scans everything, network, web, p2p, instant messengers... All you have to do is set the level pretty much... http://avast.com ...

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

Personal Firewall Ratings & Scores
Personal Firewall Reviews
Comodo's Firewall

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of the firewall software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Then you have to consider the features offered by each firewall, the amount of resources utilized and how it may affect system performance.

Free firewalls:
Comodo Free Firewall
Online Armor Free
Zone Alarm Free Basic Firewall
PC Tools Firewall Plus
Ashampoo FireWall Free
Outpost Firewall Free
Kerio Personal Firewall (available in a full and limited free edition)

Choosing a firewall is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability/experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular firewall that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use.

Before installing a 3rd-party firewall, make sure you turn off the the Windows firewall. For instructions with screenshots, see How to turn off the Windows Firewall in SP2 or How to turn on or off the Windows Vista Firewall.

Why? Using two software firewalls on a single computer could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (your router) and a software firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm) in conjunction.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

MoMo27 asks about a good firewall, and then mentions "I caught a virus earlier".
Firewalls and antivirus programs are 2 different things, with 2 different functions.

A firewall prevents unauthorized access to your system.
An antivirus identifies and removes viruses and malware. It also alerts you to files such as email attachments that may be infected. Your firewall will not do this.

What you need is to have each of them installed in order to protect your system.

#5 MoMo27

MoMo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

Thank you everybody for your advice!! It was very helpful! I really appreciate it!! I decided to go with comodo firewall instead of the others. I want to try this one out since I see it has better reviews than the others. Thanks again!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

Firewalls won't prevent malware from getting through, you need a good antivirus and antispyware for that.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

One of the easiest I would recommend would be Avast Anti-virus.. It scans everything, network, web, p2p, instant messengers... All you have to do is set the level pretty much... http://avast.com ...

Avast! Webshield is only a HTTP proxy for web browsers which it uses to scan the HTTP traffic for malware, viruses etc. The Network Shield does same to Non-HTTP traffic by looking for well known trojan ports and scanning for worms. It is not a full fledged firewall.

Edited by Romeo29, 10 April 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

Correct it is not a full fledged firewall, but in previous years... I tried breaking into my system whilst using Zone Alarm, and got through, took off Zone Alarm, put on Avast, tried the same methods, and I was blocked... Though Avast may not be a full fledged firewall, it is still an easy to use tool, that provides in an aspect, 360 degrees of protection... In conjunction with Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall, and a good router firewall... Will provide a very good level of protection...

#10 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Avast 5 is coming out sometime this year. They may or may not have a firewall with it. The firewall may only come with the Pro version. Avast has been closed mouthed about what combinations they will release. Hope a free version is available. I think it would be super as good as there AV is.

Dan

#11 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Well lets hope that Avast stays with the firewall on the free version, otherwise I will stick with the lower version lol

#12 MoMo27

MoMo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Is avast anti-virus better than spyware blaster program? I want to really protect my computer this time. =)

#13 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

What AV do you use? Spyware Blaster is not AV, it is for spyware and other malware, a realtime program for there prevention.

Dan

#14 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

I suggest using Avast, and Adaware... http://avast.com , http://lavasoft.com ... They are both great products, and with them as a team, my computers have been safe for about 6 years... I have not had any problems with them, I have found them to be wonderful tools, and they are not extremely heavy on resources either...

#15 MoMo27

MoMo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:33 PM

I have commodo antivirus that goes with the firewall, but im also going to download the avast and adware. Do I need anything else like the spyware blaster or something similar to be protected?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users