Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notepad opens off screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bowen.ak

bowen.ak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hello all,

I discovered this little issue while trying to read logs from spyware/malware programs. Notepad would open off screen to the right. I do have a dual monitor system, but it is only used by a family member who is a physician and needs the second monitor to view xrays (in other words, I am not familiar with its operation).

Things I have tried to fix this issue:
-When I turn on the second monitor, I do not see the Notepad application to drag onto the main monitor.
-If I right click on the program when listed on the toolbar, the "move" option cannot be selected.
-Alt-tab will not select it.
-Maximize/minimize/restore will not bring it back onto the main screen.
-Tile/cascading windows does not work either.

This computer runs a "Windows XP (modified)" OS and can be remotely controlled by the hospital in which the owner works. Owner does not use Notepad on secondary monitor.

I apologize if this isn't entirely clear, I just spent a few hours trying to get rid of a nasty 0xc0000005 error (thank you very much for your combofix guide!).

Many thanks in advance,
Amanda :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

Warning: Changing or modifying Windows Registry can cause damage to your Windows installation and your it may stop to work. Before you modify any registry, you should make a backup by using System Restore and creating a Restore point. Or by using a little tool called ERUNT which you can download from : http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

The default position for Windows Notepad is stored in this Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Notepad

Close all open Notepad windows and change the following values as shown:
iWindowPosX : 0
iWindowPosY : 0
iWindowPosDX : 200
iWindowPosDY: 200

This would set default position to top-left. You can resize and position Notepad window later as you wish.

Edited by Romeo29, 09 April 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#3 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:58 AM

For get rid of this error code 0xc0000005. go through this microsoft link.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818888

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

Hi bowen.ak,
Welcome to BC.

When you type...
* Start
* Run
* Notepad
* Ok

Where does notepad open?

Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#5 bowen.ak

bowen.ak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

thcbytes,
I cannot actually see the program open because it immediately disappears offscreen. If I click on it on the toolbar it minimizes itself and when I maximize it, it goes offscreen again.

Romeo29,
I will attempt your suggestion this evening.

Smithsam,
Thanks, but I already got rid of that irritating error!

-Amanda

#6 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

Alright. Give Romeo29's suggestion a try and let us know if that works.
Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users