Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much power does my computer need

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

I currently have 430 watts and im quite unsure about the stability of my computer. I want to make sure i have enough power.

ill try to list everything i remember:
amd athlon x2 BE-2300 (it says energy efficient 45 W)
seagate 320 gb hard drive, not sata (there are ribbon cables)
WD 1tb caviar black (new, i think this needs more power but im unsure)
geforce 9600
and a few extra fans

i dont know if im forgetting anything

I was experiencing weird things with my monitor. I checked temperature readings and they seemed fine so im guessing it might be due to a lack of power
Thx

Also, my computer freezes and i cannot move my mouse. I think the hard drive makes weird noises too when it freezes. I hope this isnt part of a bigger problem bcuz i just had 2 hard drives fail on me recently and i dont want this new one to do the same.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 09 April 2009 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

You might take a look at Thermaltake's Power Supply Calculator for a general idea of what you will need.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hi, have cleaned inside for dust and dirt?
Have you scanned for malware?
Here's a calculator.
http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

Keep in mind you should get PSU's that are a bit above what your system requires. So, for instance, if your PC requires 500W, get a 650W just for a little breathing room. Those two calculators can have vastly different results. I put in my current setup (found in my profile page) and one gave me 450W and another 965W. As for your other issues, how old are the hard drives? Most drives last about five years or so before they begin to fail.

3939.png

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

is this a recent problem that just started? or has it always done this since you built the system, or only after adding a certain component? if its a recent problem, and it didnt start after you added something, then its probably not a lack of power, but something failing somewhere. If its always done this or started after you added a component, it may be the power supply, that does seem kind of a weak supply for that system, but I would try those power supply caculaters first to be sure.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

the seagate 320 gb hard drive is maybe 3-4 years old. it runs with no problem except it has 1 bad sector and it has caused me an annoying problem but i dont wanna get into it.(ill save it for when i am 100% my computer is stable)
Last year, i had bought 2 seagate 500gb barracudas. Both had the really bad firmware issues. I updated both of them however one failed with about 1700 bad sectors i think around december, the second one had a ntfs.sys error around march maybe. I bought the wd 1tb caviar black so i could back up my data before trying to fix the screwed up hard drives. So far, there is no problem unless i have a specific fan plugged in. This fan makes noises atleast once a day which sounds like a really loud VRRRRMM sound. I have to stop the sound by tapping the case on which the fan is mounted. However, when i installed the new hard drive i got weird problems with my computer. At first the screen would go black (not off) or the monitor would suddenyl become all yellow or all light blue. I unplugged the fan and the problem stopped. I am not sure if this is a coincidence.

speed fan shows good temperatures for everything except my video card which is at 55 C so i doubt my computer is overheating.
I know the caviar black is made for speed and performance so i thought it would require lots of power. However the transfer rates are horrible which they shouldnt be.

!!!!! PS- If you plan to post something about how to fix my 2 hard drives or my slow caviar black, I started a separate thread with those problems (and many many many other problems). I have only started 2 threads so you can find it easily if you wish to help.

Thx. I was surprised at how fast everyone replied!

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

have you tried the power supply calculators yet?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

Unless the power supply is bad, it is more than enough.

Video 60watts, processor 45watts, misc (mobo/mem/HDs) and total draw is still ~150 watts.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

ARGHH, ok sry but i went under my desk to plug in some speakers in the back. I came up from under the desk and my monitor was black. The keyboard and mouse was unresponsive. Just when i thought i had backed up my data and i was at safe place, there is a problem.
I am not sure if this was related to my plugging in the speaker because it happened by itself once when i left my computer to reformat a bad drive (the one with 1700+ bad sectors).

I tried the first calculator and there are a lot of stuff i dont know about.
I tried the new egg calculator but there was some stuff i have that arent on the list.

Thank God its spring break or i would go crazy. Right now im on the brink of going crazy. I have no appetite and im really tired.

Edited by mumbojumbo28, 09 April 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

As dpunisher said, unless your power supply is failing, you have plenty of power.

You mean now, even if you restart the computer, the screen remains black? If so, this isn't due to the hard drive. A computer will still turn on and display the BIOS without a hard drive.

EDIT: How many amps are on the +12V rail?

Edited by Sterling14, 09 April 2009 - 10:49 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#11 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

The screen turns black at seemingly random times. The computer works fine, it boots fine, i see my desktop there are no problems then everytime when i look away then look back the screen is black and i can do nothing (or atleast i think i cant do anything). I dont know when its gonna happen. This started happening ever since i hooked up the new hard drive.

"EDIT: How many amps are on the +12V rail? "
What? There is a chart on my power supply but im not quite sure what you are talking about

And my power supply is actually 420 W.

Also, is there a way to see if your power supply is failing?

Edited by mumbojumbo28, 09 April 2009 - 10:56 PM.

#12 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

MY outlet isnt grounded if that has anything to do with it.

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

The label should say +12V and then have another number followed by "a" such as 18a, or 24a, etc. You may have multiple +12V rails which would be labeled as +12V1 and +12V2 . If you give us the make and model of the power supply, we may be able to find it out.

You could try the power supply in another computer, or try another power supply in your computer.

Edited by Sterling14, 09 April 2009 - 11:14 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

hold on, he said he had a 9600 in it didnt he? the nvidia 9600 requires a 300 watt PSU if I recall.

picard5.jpg

#15 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:07 AM

Yes, i said a nvidia geforce 9600. It wasnt on the newegg calculator though.
In speed fan, my video card has a fire symbol and it is at about 55 Celsius. But that is the only thing overheating.

This is my power supply
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...TC-pr1c3grabb3r
I think its pretty old. On the side of my power supply box, It says 13 Amps under + 12V.

Im too afraid to plug in my speakers lol.

EDIT: I quickly went to the nvidia website for the 9600 http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us.html . for minum power requirments, one column says 400 and one column says 300. But i dont know the difference between the two columns.

Edited by mumbojumbo28, 10 April 2009 - 12:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users