Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 armrodnun

armrodnun

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

Why my video card stopped working after i a friend of mine cleaned it up? I am getting this message:?
"please check video cable connection."

First of all the onboard video card does not work, I was using a video card that i installed on a VGA slot. it worked fine for a long time up until:

1. My PC got full of viruses: I tried to clean my PC. by running antivirus software, and it did find and clean a bunch. However, it made it worse because afterwards, i couldn't even log in (the video card was still working fine). I put my XP CD and run the recovery console with some recovery commands, still no boot. I took my hard rive out, installed it on my other PC as slave and run check disk utility - still no luck. Run antivirus software from my other PC, and it did not find anymore viruses. However, my video card as i said, it was working fine by then.

2. I took it to friend's house so he could fix this boot problem that i had:

He told me he could not made the video card to work with his PC (he is a computer person).

3. I got it back to my House and decided it to reinstall my OS. When I boot the PC to reinstall XP again, I got this message: "please check video cable connection." And I said, that’s strange because it was working fine when i took it to my friend. I called him to ask him: "what did you do to it? "I cleaned the inside of it because it was all dirty - that's all I did” he said.

4. He and I then tried both, another VGA and PCI video card to see if it was the video card, but no luck (by the way, the PC was not posting - no beeps at all). He Took the CMOS battery for 10 seconds, and no luck. Disconnect the hard rive, DVD/CD drive, floppy drive, RAM, and still, no signal and no posting.
[b]
5. I Took all the components mention above with an addition to the video card to see if the PC would post, and nop, no posting at all (No beeps).

6. Finally, yesterday, I took the motherboard out and cleaned blowing air with my mouth (i did not have compress air jeje), put it back into the case. I tried it without RAM, hard drive, DVD/CD drive, floppy drive, to see if it would post, and without all these components all I hear is: One Long Beep After another one and it keeps repeating after 3 or 4 seconds.

I put the RAM back in it, power the PC back on and now BEEPS at all again. I tried it with the hard rive and DVD/CD drive AND NO RAM, and i get the same: One Long Beep After another one. So, only without the RAM I can hear those long beeps, but without the RAM, no beeps at all.

What can the problem be? Can someone please give me any suggestions? I need my PC! Please someone!! thanx in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

"He told me he could not made the video card to work with his PC "

If the video card wouldn't work in your friends computer there is a good possibility it [the video card] has failed.

Unplug the computer
Push the power button to discharge ant stored electricity.
Open the case
Remove the video card
blow out the AGP slot
Put the card back in making sure it's fully seated.
Either locate the jumper & clear the CMOS or remove the battery from the motherboard for about a minute.
Put the jumper back where it was originally or put the battery back on.
Try it

If the video doesn't come on either the video card or something else has failed.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users