The second time I booted up, I am able to get the windows splash screen, and then I get a black screen hang which also locks me out of using the keyboard. Basically, when the hang appears, its like the keyboard has been unplugged from the machine. I have tested the keyboard on another machine and it works, I have even entered the bios just to ensure that the keyboard works on this machine. I read the XP Boot Fixes thread posted here (Great info btw!) and I tried the following using the recovery .iso also offered through that post:
1. disk diagnostics (this appears to be fine)
2. chkdsk /r (this tells me that there were errors but they were all corrected, still gives me the hang)
3. fixmbr (again tells me everything was repaired, but still get the hang)
4. fixboot (once more tells me it was repaired, but still get the hang, only now I have 2 OS choices, the original and the renamed choice with the fixed boot)
5. bootcfg /rebuild (says its rebuilt, but still have the hang)
6. last known good config (still hanging!)
7. safe mode (now this part is weird) - booting into safe mode gives me a logon/password box but completely hangs. When I had booted into safe mode the first time I booted up, there was no logon/password box! And I know I didnt put any passwords on there either!
I have pondered trying new video drivers as suggested in the XP Boot Fixes thread, but the keyboard thing makes me think that the problem isnt with the video drivers.
Edited by Sykotik, 09 April 2009 - 03:44 PM.