Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Locks up/Freezes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 anatomyx4

anatomyx4

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hardware Specifications:
*All purchased from Newegg.com
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Background:
I built this computer a bit more than a year ago and have had various graphical issues since then. At first my computer would just give me artifacts or graphical errors while playing games. However, overtime it started to actually started to lock up or freeze altogether. I figured it was a heat issue with the graphics card since when I turned up the fan speed on it to 100% the frequency of lock-ups and freezes diminished (although didn't entirely go away). However, I dealt with these issues hoping that a driver update in the near future would fix it (tried so many different drivers, with some working to some extent and others just making my problems worse). So now, my current problem...

My Problem:
My computer is now locking up and freezing on my Windows XP desktop while doing anything (from just browsing the web on Firefox to playing music on WinAMP). For the past couple of weeks I can't use my desktop for more than an hour before it locks up and I have to hold the power button for a cold shut-down. The mouse and keyboard will stop responding and my entire desktop will freeze in its place, clock and all. No error messages show up. I know this is not a Windows XP error because the exact same thing will happen in BIOS or at the Windows XP loading screen, or even during the CheckDisc process (which I attempted).

What I think the problem is:
I blame my graphics card, and have just gotten clearance to send it in for an RMA. I hope this solves the issue, but I am interested in what other people think the problem may be? I don't believe CPU heat is the issue since when I check it directly after a freeze it is running at around 40-45 C. The graphics card however runs at around 70-80 C with ~60% fan and about 60 C when running the fan at 100%.

I'm currently on my MacBook, and will update this post when I get more information. Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:20 AM

does seem a lil hot for that particular card, ok, waaaay hot. I would try a different video card and see if that solves your problem, either via RMA or elsewhere.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Hertsky

Hertsky

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:02 AM

Very nice computer. I gotta say you sound like me a few months ago, cause my older computer used to do just that what your computer is doing. It didnt have the greatest technology, It had a GeForce 7900Gs with 2gb ram, DDR1 of coarse. I never did find a cure, I would always be searching why it would just freeze on me for no aparent reason, when I was doing anything, from logging in, to exploring the net. Even reinstalling windows continuously. Might not be heat problems cause my old 7900 ran at, I believe around 60 degrees, and my newer card here runs around 70 Degrees. (Celsius)

I believe it is either a Hardware problem or driver problem. Can you check your Event Viewer in Administrative Tools to see if anything in the System's log with a red X on the side that has info like
"Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000104, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 b73e8755." (That was my last Blue Screen o Death)

Could you possibly disable/uninstall your graphics driver in safe mode and then load up and play around with your computer and see if it crashes?

(Could it be lose connectors from say the graphics/ram connectors to the motherboard connectors, and the fans in your system rattles it making it short and freeze your computer?) <- I heard that somewheres I'm not 100% if its true.

Good luck

does seem a lil hot for that particular card, ok, waaaay hot. I would try a different video card and see if that solves your problem, either via RMA or elsewhere.

Try Patriot's ideas too! :thumbsup: (Can you also try switching the RAM)

Edited by Hertsky, 11 April 2009 - 04:03 AM.

Posted Image

#4 anatomyx4

anatomyx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. Here's an update...

I tried out a brand new graphics card (EVGA 9500GT) and it still gives me the same problems. Freezes within 5-8 minutes regardless of what is being done. It'll freeze in Windows XP, at the loading screen, or at the posting screen, or even inside BIOS (I think this is an important piece of information). Yes, it freezes in BIOS. I tried unplugging my harddrive and going into BIOS and in a few minutes it'll still freeze. Since I've ruled out my graphics card and my harddrive, and considering the fact that it freezes in BIOS, how safe would it be for me to think it is my mobo?

Also, thanks for the responses guys. Hertzsky, My processor's fan seems to be running just fine, and my processor is running a good 38-44 degrees C. Usually about 42 degrees C right after a freeze. My chassis fans are connected to my PSU so they can't be shorting my mobo.

So to end with a couple of questions that might ease my frustration... Can I rule out the possibility that it is a software issue? As in a virus or something? What concerns me is that this all started happening around the beginning of April when the whole Conficker thing supposedly started. From what I've read I don't seem to have any symptoms. I can connect to Windows Update, my McAfee can update fine, so can my AdAware... Is it just a coincidence? I mean, I figure if it is freezing in BIOS that it isn't OS-related since at that point my harddrive isn't even booted (and also I tried with my harddrive unplugged and it still froze in BIOS).

Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'll continue to update as I work on a solution.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

hmmm could be, do you have another motherboard to throw in there? hate to throw more money away on another mobo and it not be the problem, like in the case of your video card, because there may be a possibility that its the PSU as well. do you have any way of testing the PSU? like have an extra layin around or something along those lines?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 anatomyx4

anatomyx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

I can use my roommate's PSU and test that. I'll post my results once I do that. I just swapped out my ram with my roommate's with no success, so I think I can rule out ram. Plus it posts sometimes, so I figure it's not the ram?

Also, I reset the CMOS by taking the battery out for a short time and putting it back in. Now, currently it won't even post. When I turn on my computer everything powers up but the screen is just black and nothing shows up. Sounds like it's on but it's like it is frozen at the very beginning.

^I've had this problem in the past with another computer I built, and I never did find out the problem exactly because I RMA'd both the processor and the mobo (an unrelated story: i shipped both the mobo and processor back to newegg in the same box and they told me they never received the processor, but they did the mobo. also told me the box was not tampered with and insisted that I didn't package it... this is me just venting about this - it happened about a year ago and it's in the past now). This is partially the reason I believe it to be related to my mobo. If anyone has any further suggestions please feel free. Especially those that test if my mobo is dead.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

Try resetting the cmos using the jumpers on the motherboard. If you read the manual (the online one would probably be best), it can tell you how to set them up to reset the cmos.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 anatomyx4

anatomyx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

Update: I just tried a different power supply, same issues prevail. So to check off:

GPU - Definitely not
RAM - No? I tried different sticks, running dual-channel, and then single channel on each stick.
HDD - Definitely not
PSU - Definitely not
CPU - Don't believe so... Have not run any tests other than monitoring temperature (which checks out)
Mobo: Have not tried all of my components in a different motherboard yet, nor do I think I'll be able to. As far as I see, this is the last component that could be causing the issue that has not been tested.

Since my last post I have gotten the computer to POST sometimes. The point at which my computer freezes varies. Sometimes I can make it as far as the Windows XP loading screen before it freezes, but more often than not it will freeze at the POST screen, before that (as in I just get a black screen and the computer is powered), or in BIOS if I am able to get to the POST screen and enter it. In any case, the issue seems to be getting worse. It started with my computer freezing every 10-15 minutes, and now I'm lucky to get past the POST.

Any other tests I should run before getting my mobo ready for RMA? Or any other suggestions that I could try that might point it in a different direction? I don't want to RMA the mobo unless I'm pretty damn certain that it is the culprit here.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Keep it coming...

Edited by anatomyx4, 11 April 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Id just RMA it and see what happens, from the looks of it youve pretty much tried everything short of reinstalling the OS and since it freezes in the bios without the HD installed, well, Id say RMA the board. ASUS normally makes pretty good boards, and Im sure this is just a lemon, all manufacturers are sure to have a few bad boards go out. RMA it and see what happens. though, the one thing I didnt think of, is how is your case cooling? intake/exhaust fans and the like? I doubt its the problem, but im just curiouse if bad airflow is causing an overheat situation.

picard5.jpg

#10 anatomyx4

anatomyx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

I don't believe heat is an issue since the computer has been sitting in the same place for like 8 months, and I have not had a problem. Also, all of my tests were done so with the case open so...

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

I had a NVIDIA 8600Gt in my system for awhile, and even with the case open it overheated. and then when I upgraded to the ati 3870 x2 it overworked the PSU which also overheated the system, case open or not, and from your previouse statement, your video card is running far hotter then it should. that card should not idle at 70C with 60% fan.

picard5.jpg

#12 randy265

randy265

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hi Anatomy, please update this thread with what you find out. I have the exact same problem. I built my pc almost 2 years ago with an Asus P5K mb, corsair 520w PSU, E6750 intel cpu, 8800 GTS and 2 GB corsair ram. About a week ago I started getting the freezes/lockups while viewing media, windows player, nero showtime, flash movies, anything. Over the last couple days the problem has migrated to just freezing while running with nothing happening, with varying run times before the lockups.

I've gone through it thru and thru and have ruled out malware. I suspect the MB or PSU, but these are supposed to be pretty solid components...

#13 anatomyx4

anatomyx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hi Randy,

I'll be sure to update when I figure this all out. First I'm probably going to go pick up a new PSU. If that doesn't work I'm going to go ahead and RMA my mobo.

#14 Karnac

Karnac

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

Just a thought here......are you sure that your power supply is adequate for what you are running?.....An entry level ATX power supply for a PCI express gaming PC these days is 600W......A 750-1000W supply may fix your problem.

#15 randy265

randy265

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

I built it 2 years ago and never had a problem, so if it is an inadequate amount of wattage it wouldn't make much sense. I'm not ruling out the psu though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users