Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade suggestions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

System specs:

WinXP Pro SP3
C2D 4600
ASUS P5L-MX LGA 775
2gigs DDR2 667
Maxtor 250gig
20x DVDRW
8500GS 256mb PCI-E
Antec Solution Mid Tower Case with Antec True Power 380watt PSU
Onboard Audio and Nic.

The computer works fine for what I use it for but Id like to upgrade it for a little extra punch. The only thing I can see myself doing different is going to Windows 7. Im running the beta on a vm and I really like it. Any suggestions?
Resistance is futile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

That's a newer PC so updating it shouldn't be too difficult. You can swap out 2GB of RAM for 4GB. You can also upgrade your processor to a newer Core 2 Duo, such as the Core 2 Extreme X6800. You can also update the video card to something more powerful. Of course, if you want to do this, you will need a better power supply. Also, be aware that virtual machines are limited by the VM itself, so Windows 7 may work better outside the VM.

3939.png

#3 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

This seems like a good price for memory.

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB)

As far as video cards go, Im kind of lost. Would this be considered an upgrade?

Radeon HD 4670 1GB

About the cpu, I dont know if I want to go through the trouble of replacing the cpu. Do you think id notice that much of a difference? I know I can push the 2.4 to 2.8 with out any major adjustments. Would that be an alternative to replacing the CPU? I've taken it to 3.0 but with lots of tweaking required and the all the fans set at 3 (antec 120mm tri-cools) which is way too loud for me:)
Resistance is futile.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

I have to ask,"What do you use your system for?"

You have a 32bit OS, and XP doesn't really need more than 2gigs for most purposes (at least that I can think of). If you are gaming, then I could see the need for an updated video card. As far as video cards, wait a week or two as ATI and NVidia have just introduced new cards. Price drops are soon to follow.

Is there some particular app that is running too slowly?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

I have to ask,"What do you use your system for?"

You have a 32bit OS, and XP doesn't really need more than 2gigs for most purposes (at least that I can think of). If you are gaming, then I could see the need for an updated video card. As far as video cards, wait a week or two as ATI and NVidia have just introduced new cards. Price drops are soon to follow.

Is there some particular app that is running too slowly?

There's nothing really acting up. I guess its just the geek in me that wants to crack open the case and do some upgrades:)

I use it for web, email, music and occasional gaming. Actually, the only games I play are NFS:Carbon and Lotro: Mines of Moria (an mmo for those that dont know it). I also play around with web design (really basic stuff).

Im currently running the windows 7 beta on vm and I like it enough to consider upgrading to it when its released. Thats another reason I wanted to "beef" up the rig a bit.
Resistance is futile.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

I don't think you would even notice a difference if you added better parts in. You could upgrade to 4gb of ram if you want, even though a 32-bit OS will only support 3-3.5gb. When you get Windows 7 though, you could get 64-bit and have the full 4gb.

You would probably see a boost of performance from the graphics card, but the upgrade you would see isn't really worth the money. You're better off waiting a while until the current expensive high end cards become cheaper mid range cards.

The only thing you might notice a slight performance from is running RAID. You would need to buy another 250gb hard drive, and reformat your current one.

Edited by Sterling14, 10 April 2009 - 04:03 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

RAID may help, but there are problems associated with it that you should consider. RAID 0 is risky since any disk failure will destroy the array. RAID 1 may help performance slightly under certain conditions, but it is designed more for fault tolerance than speed enhancement.

3939.png

#8 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

So whats the benefit of raid? Dont more drives mean slower read times?

The redundancy part I understand. I use acronis true image to automatically image my drive once a week to my external and its saved me in the past:)

Edited by Helio, 13 April 2009 - 12:57 PM.

Resistance is futile.

#9 buononut1

buononut1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

I might suggest a faster HDD. A raptor 10,000 RPM is dropping in price and can make quite a diff. Good VGA's are around for nearly $100, too (like the 9800GTX). As was said, you won't notice much diff w/ browsing/email, but gaming will always benefit. If you have the $, go for it. I did the same recently, and I love playing games with settings cranked up all the way (Empire at War, Doom 3)

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

The whole point of RAID is redundancy, if you want faster access times, a faster HDD will speed things along but they usually have lower capacities than their slower cousins. You could get a better GPU since yours is underpowered. Given the power requirements of a 9800 GTX, I do not suggest going to that card unless you upgrade your PSU. The SPARKLE SFPX95GT1024U2H GeForce 9500 GT would be a fine choice since it requires a 350W PSU.

3939.png

#11 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

The GPU looks pretty good, especially for the price. At the very least I will upgrade to 4gigs ram and get a better video card. When Windows 7 is released, I'll upgrade so I can make full use of the ram. I may also go with a new terabyte drive at that time also since they have really come down in price.

Raid sounds awesome but I dont think my rig is "uber" enough for that lol. Maybe Ill implement that in my next build.
Resistance is futile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users