Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser opens then after a minute or two everything freezes and get browser not respoding

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

Browers, either Google Chrome or Internet Explorer, go into the internet, however after about 1 - 2mintes of use, everthing freezes. If I go into att e mail, it ceases taking commands. Chrome will also stop taking commands.

I ran AD Ware, also system tools like defrag and clean disk. Also ran Reg Cure. Nothing seems to help. This is a new problem. I don't know whether to use system restore or not...I'd rather not. Do you think it will help?

These problems are so damned annoying. Microsoft and other are just using us all for guinea pigs for their deficient software.

Can you guys help on this? 44 guy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Are you positive that it is only in internet browsers? or is it possible that it could be in other stuff also?

It seems suspect that the whole computer freezes only in a browser much less more than one browser.

I would check hardware and make sure that something else is really going on.

I personally would at least test RAM for errors and also hard drive.

To further narrow it down, does this also happen in Firefox? (look at event viewer also).

Alot of stuff i know, but test this stuff and let us know.

#3 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Promethius, however I have questions for you too.

1. How do I "check out Hardware"?

2. How do I test RAM....through control panel?

3. Haven't tried firefox...I have had problems with firefox in the past, the reason I do not know.

4. You are correct. this is not only internet problem. My wordperfect 3X hangs up also.\

This is all brand new problem. I ran my anti virus program which detects nothing. This is a one year old Gateway laptop model ML3109 running XP Home and has a celeron processor...not the greatest processor, but since I do mostly browing and wordprocessing it has worked well in the past.

Please....any answers to the above... I have to solve this annoying new problem. 44 guy

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

You can test your RAM and motherboard RAM slots...by running Memtest, following directions/suggestions provided.

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/ . Click on the Free Download button.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Louis

#5 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Alright, the fact that you say it locks up in other stuff, hints to me that either Windows is corrupt or you have a hardware issue (still betting on hardware).

1. To check the hardware will require some work. The easiest way is to make bootable discs that will test the hardware for issues.

2. To test RAM click the link in my signature for RAM. To test the harddrive look in my sig again and click the hard drive link, find your HD and make a boot disc to test it.

3. Firefox tip is moot if your having problems with other stuff.

Let me know what you find out.

#6 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

You can test your RAM and motherboard RAM slots...by running Memtest, following directions/suggestions provided.

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/ . Click on the Free Download button.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Louis

From 44 guy: Thank you Louis and Promethius. Wonder of wonders, the computer is working okay now. What I did was change the startup to Normal. I had previously changed via system utility a startup item. Never affected anything before and it was a while ago.

It may be a coincidence. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is heat related. I do keep this Gateway Laptop on two wooden slats under it to allow air to pass under. I do not, however, hear the fan going on and off.
Is there someway I can check fan functon without taking the laptop apart? They are a real pain to
disassemble.

Any further thoughts on this? Do you think I should get a plug in memory card...the laptop seems to have a door /slot arrangement which I assume is for memory cards. Bear in mind this is a Celeron processer, but it worked okay before. Tonight it is working great. Could it be power supply? It seems to me that power supply would be on or off...simple...no in betweens. Perhaps I am wrong about that and heat also affects that? Can I check fan in system devices manager? I don't think so.

Appreciate your further comments on this vexing problem......44 Guy

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

My guess is that it was your use of Msconfig to attempt to control startups...if that's the only thing that has changed.

Msconfig.exe was never intended to be startup manager, it's a troubleshooting tool, see 3d sentence, paragraph 1 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560 .

If you want to use a startup manager, there are various programs that execute that function better than any erroneous use of the msconfig.exe command in XP.

You can gather data on such by using Google and typing "startup manager" in the query spot. Each program is a bit different and it's easier to find the one that suits you best...by trying several, IMO.

Louis

#8 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

My guess is that it was your use of Msconfig to attempt to control startups...if that's the only thing that has changed.

Msconfig.exe was never intended to be startup manager, it's a troubleshooting tool, see 3d sentence, paragraph 1 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560 .

If you want to use a startup manager, there are various programs that execute that function better than any erroneous use of the msconfig.exe command in XP.

You can gather data on such by using Google and typing "startup manager" in the query spot. Each program is a bit different and it's easier to find the one that suits you best...by trying several, IMO.

Louis

Thank you Louis, I recognize now that msconifg.exe is only for diagnostics.

I have Reg Cure on my computer which I believe has a startup mgr...I don't know how good it is.
Thanks for all your help...all you guys. 44 Guy

#9 Karnac

Karnac

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

It's best to avoid using any kind of registry cleaner. They usually cause more trouble than they are worth. RegCure in particular has a less than stellar reputation.....I'd take it off my PC as fast as I could......Google RegCure scam for more info.

Download Speedfan and make sure you are not running too hot.

Edited by Karnac, 10 April 2009 - 10:57 PM.

#10 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

It's best to avoid using any kind of registry cleaner. They usually cause more trouble than they are worth. RegCure in particular has a less than stellar reputation.....I'd take it off my PC as fast as I could......Google RegCure scam for more info.

Download Speedfan and make sure you are not running too hot.

Thank you Karnac. I had read that about registry cleaners, but have not understand why that is. I will check Google about it. thank you.

Speedfan, I'll see if I can get through searching. Thank you. 44 Guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users