Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for some help for a friend regarding anti-virus software.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drucifer

Drucifer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

Hi all, I'm new here. Actually I'm asking for a friend and happened to stumble upon the site using a search engine.

First he has a Dell with an OEM Windows XP Pro. He wife installed AVG on the computer which he has never used before. Anyway, they did a scan and found a bunch of infected files but he said he thinks instead of selecting quarantine, heal, or whatever the options are he thinks he selected delete. Now he gets errors when starting up and he said he can't do anything so he believes he deleted some system files. He is able to get into safe mode so he is wondering if there is any way to recover the files or if he must now re-install the OS. He didn't receive OEM CDs or DVDs from Dell so he doesn't have the OS to reinstall.

I'm not familure with this program since I use a Mac and don't use anti-virus software but I'm trying to find a fix for my friend.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hi

Have you tried System Restore?
System restore should be able to roll back the changes made.

Select Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
Then select a restore point which is previous to when the files were deleted.
Steve

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Just wondering... Do you know what the errors are? If he is able to get in with safe mode, with XP, if I remember correctly, pressing F8 as the machine boots up he can also choose "Last Known Good Configuration". That should allow him to boot XP as it was before the problem... If not then try the System Restore... If that doesn't work, I do believe it is possible to get a boot cd from downloading it off the internet and then burning it to a cd, which should be able to restore the system files that might have been deleted... Though I could give better advice with better information...

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

Yes, we need to know what files were identified/removed.

It's not unusual to receive "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" errors when "booting up" after using anti-virus and other security scanning tools to remove a malware. Even though he never used the computer, an anti-virus may detect what it considers to be Potentially Unwanted Program that may have been pre-installed on systems made by Dell and other OEM manufacturers. An anti-virus seldom detects a crtical system file, let alone several of them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Drucifer

Drucifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

Thank you all. What I have done is printed off your suggestions for him and told him if he is unable to correct the issue with your suggestions to provide more detailed information about the errors.

If he requires additional help I will let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users