Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probelm with loading

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 karen j

karen j

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:24 AM

:thumbsup: Hi i'm Karen and i connot get the computer to work! I can switch it on and that is it! I managed to get it started by hitting the restart button on the tower and was able to reboot from F8 screen and then it did some checks truncated some and then i was able to use it for a while until it went to a blue screen and then shut down so fast i did'nt get any info. HELP! i am not very techno minded but under instruction i can do a lot but only if i can get the computer on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:33 AM

OK first do this
Start
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenance
System
Advanced Tab
Start up and recovery
Make sure the automatically restart box is unticked under system failure.

This will leave up the BSOD up, write down the error string it will look something like 0x00000000 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) this information will give some idea as to what's causing the problem.

As chkdsk is running I'd also suggest running your hdd manufacturers diagnostic tests on the hdd as it could be failing. If you have broadband I'd suggest downloading the Utlimatebootcd which has all the diagnostic tools from the major hdd manufacturers.

#3 karen j

karen j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:40 AM

I am unable to get anything on screen nothing is happening.

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:43 AM

If windows is failing to load I'd try running a hdd diagnostic test on your HDD.

I assume that the bios is posting it's just windows not loading?

Seatools

If you are unsure which manufacturer produced your hdd download the Seatools from the above link and select the generic test.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:39 AM

Hi Karen,
Your PC is plugged in and switched on and you press the power button to boot and nothing happens? There is nothing on the screen?
Do you hear beeps? Can you hear drives whirring, fans running? Do any lights come on?

What can you tell us about your PC? CPU, RAM, Drive size, make, age, colour?

Just kidding about the colour. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 karen j

karen j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:44 AM

If windows is failing to load I'd try running a hdd diagnostic test on your HDD.

I assume that the bios is posting it's just windows not loading?

Seatools

If you are unsure which manufacturer produced your hdd download the Seatools from the above link and select the generic test.

I can't see anything on screen there is nothing there to work with there seems to be some sort of failure. This is on another computer not this on i'm using. I've had enough now it's going on too long and i don't know enough to sort out should i take it to a shop?

#7 karen j

karen j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:53 AM

i can't tell you any thing at the moment and yes nothing on screen the system starts whiring and lights come on then nothing. It is Fat32 master 4gig slave 20gig IBM. Previously i was able to start it by pressing the restart button a few times and i did a reboot and it did checks but after a while of using it, it just suddenly shut down. :thumbsup:

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:16 AM

No beep or beeps? If the system is going to boot it will usually beep.

The power supply may be faulty or something may have worked loose inside the PC. How do you feel about taking off the cover and unplugging a few things?
Switch off, take off the cover, hold ametal part of the case then unplug the power cord. I'd unplug and replug all the power connectors and drive cables, same for the memory (RAM) sticks. I'd also remove and reinstall all the plug-in cards, then try to boot again. If that does not work take out all the cards except the video card, remove all but one RAM stick, unplug all the drives except the Floppy and try booting again. If you get nothing at all on the screen then your power supply is probably faulty and needs to be replaced.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 karen j

karen j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

i can 't see anything loose there is not a lot in there. i do have a flashing light on the monitor so i know power is getting through. I found 2 boot disks inside the tower but even they are not working

#10 karen j

karen j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

it's now started to beep in a single tone. maybe an alarm?

#11 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:50 AM

What's the motherboard inside your PC?

Beep Codes

PC Hell Beep Codes

Edited by stidyup, 17 June 2005 - 08:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users