Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader freezes loading a PDF

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mhorton10

mhorton10

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

I work as the IT guy's right-hand man in an office, and I have one user, probably more, who needs to bring up PDF files in IE. However, they have a problem where the file stops loading about one-fifth of the way through, loading about 200K before stopping and freezing. Files are usually greater than 1 MB in size.

I have set the computer to run at best performance in System, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe (they use Adobe 6.0 to edit, but this should be 8.0 Reader that comes up.) At first, it seemed to fix it, but it's still acting up. Is there anything I've missed? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jill8beans2

jill8beans2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

Our computers at work were doing this same thing. I'm anxious to see if anyone nows how to fix this.
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

#3 mhorton10

mhorton10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

Our IT guy tried reinstalling the Complete version of Adobe on the user's PC (I reinstalled with Typical) - neither version helped. I was tempted to say that it was the files themselves - but other people can open them. It's also not the browser, I don't think - clearing cache/cookies and using IE7 didn't help, and the System settings are set to work for best performance, as are all computers here.

I'm thinking it's just the age of those PCs - they haveo lder Dell models, while most people here in the office use Lenovo ThinkPad computers.

#4 mhorton10

mhorton10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

We have a workaround for it - hit the Refresh button. It seems to load the PDF files just fine.

Still have to reinstall Reader 8.0 periodically because it keeps crashing...wonder what's going on with that...

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

I know you will think I'm nuts, but it's a clear sign to ditch Adobe reader.
It's one of the most annoying applications out there for me.

Use FREE foxit reader, it's small, it's fast, it's simple, draws circles over that Adobe memory hog and pest
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

Need slightly fancier features (I can't think of any)? Pay for it, minimal cost compared to paid Adobe which is still a pain.

#6 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

I had a problem like this and here is what I did to fix it.

In IE go to Tools > Internet Options> Advanced and click Reset internet explorer. This will remove the integration with IE and any toolbars that you may have.

Then go to adobe.com and install the latest adobe reader.

That should fix the problem with it freezing when you try to open a pdf in IE.

uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users