Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I did something really, really stupid...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 cvgurau

cvgurau

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:14 AM

My sister had this computer she didn't really want. She wasn't using it much, and she knew I liked to write (also, I babysit all the time for free, so she might have felt guilty), so she gave it to me for a while.

Without an internet connection (the computer's in my room, the one I net surf with is in the living room), I get bored pretty easily, so I started messing around with options. Just to see what it would be like, I set the monitor display too high, and the screen went dark. Now, I can't get it back. I tried switching monitors, but this one is insufficient, too.

So, is there a way to undo this, or am I boned?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:20 AM

System restore might bring back the original settings. Hit F8 when the PC starts and select safe mode from the options given.

#3 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:34 AM

As it's booting up, or after?

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:35 AM

Just keep hitting F8 as the bios is posting, that way you'll catch the sweet spot when it's possible to bring the load menu up.

#5 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:43 AM

When you say "as the bios is posting" (which is way over my head, sad as it is), I assume you mean at the boot screen, where the little bar is moving near the bottom of the screen, in which case, I did what you suggested, and it didn't work. The screen still went blank.

#6 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:45 AM

Yep when you first switch your PC on just start pressing F8.

Info on bios post sequence

#7 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:53 AM

I tried that, and it didn't work.

But thanks for trying :thumbsup:

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:29 AM

cvgurau - stidyup is trying to get you booted in Safe Mode which loads only basic display settings so you can change the display back to the way it was. One way into safe mode is repeatedly tapping the F8 key as soon as the machine is powered on - this works for all windows PCs, you just have to keep trying. Eventually it arrives at a menu of options, one of which is boot in Safe Mode. Choose that.
Some systems will bring up that menu if you hold the 'Ctrl' key down while the PC is booting. Try that as well.
When you get into Safe Mode you may not be able to select the normal display options. If not just OK the options available and reboot. When the PC reboots normally it will have poor graphics but now you will be able to change the settings to higher resolution, more colours, i.e. back to where you want it.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:32 AM

You might be able to use the following, if you can get into safe mode.

I didn't think you could alter the screen settings back in safe mode? I had a similar problem at home, fortunately I had a better monitor which could cope with the higher settings so I managed to get myself out of the whole that way.

Tool to set screen res

Place the file in a folder and create a bat file.

Enter the following in notepad:
res.exe /x:800 /y:600 /c:16

Save the file as screeres.bat

Put a shortcut to the bat file here C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

When you logon it should alter the screen res settings.

However I've not tried this to confirm it works.

Edited by stidyup, 17 June 2005 - 07:35 AM.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:56 AM

stidyup - You're right you can't change the display settings back to high resolution in Safe Mode because you only have a VGA driver available, but you can set the display to VGA settings 640x480, 256 so when you reboot those will be the display settings in normal mode. Then you can see what's happening so you can set normal resolution and colour back again.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:12 AM

If you can get into Safe Mode, go to Control Panel and highlight and remove the display adapter. When you reboot, Windows should reinstall the drivers and you will get back to where you started.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

I got to safe mode, and I modified the display options, but when I rebooted, I was back to black. Nothing happened.

Also, I'm hesitant to delete anything, since I don't have any CDs or floppies I may or may not need for Windows to reinstall.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:35 AM

At the very worst, if you remove the display adapter in safe mode, you will have a display that looks like safe mode when in normal mode. At least you'll have your video back. If Windows doesn't find and install the drivers, we can find them for you. If you have a burner that will allow you to download them and put them on a CD to install them in the problem computer.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

Okay. Good to know.

Now, by display adapter, do you mean the display control? Because I've never heard it called that.

I just want to be sure.

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:28 PM

Its Display Adapter. Assuming this is XP (that hasn't come up yet) you would go to Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager and click the + beside Display Adapter and highlight whatever is there (write it down in case we need to find drivers) and go to the bottom and click remove. Reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users