Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random freezes in Windows and BIOS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 geno93n0

geno93n0

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

Well, I'm back again, used to have an issue with my computer restarting on its own and frequent BSOD's, but after a week of not using it it seemed to have fixed itself (i.e. perfectly fine with no crashes whatsoever).

This persisted for about a month until about 3-4 days ago when Windows just froze up on me (couldn't move mouse, NumLock lights didn't go off when I pressed them = RESET BUTTON).

Afterwards, when I tried to boot, the XP loading screen (and more recently the GPU BIOS at boot) also froze up on me.

Event Viewer seems to have nothing on what happens when the comp freezes.

My stats (computer is around 5-6 y/o):
- Pentium 4 1.7 GHz
- 256MB RDRAM
- 40GB Seagate HDD
- GeForce 5500FX
- 300W PSU
- DSL Internet

Help please :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

Well...you only have the minimal (IMO) amount of RAM installed, so I would expect possible freezes when the system is taxed for memory.

You might also have some overheating issues, Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

You might also do this, in an effort to get recorded error message data when a BSOD occurs: Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Louis

#3 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

The amount of RAM I have seems to be enough, when my system is taxed for memory it does lag, but it doesn't totally freeze up. At least it's not supposed to.

Already cleaned my interior, Auto Reboot is already off. Doesn't really matter anyway because the comp doesn't randomly restart anymore, it just totally freezes up.

I'd also like some feedback regarding the BIOS freezing, please.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

I've never had a situation where the system froze while I was in the BIOS...it seems improbable, unless it has to do with a possible CMOS battery replacement.

But...even when I've done those, the effects on the system were random, inconsistent BSODs...system clock losing time...inability to install XP on a perfectly good hard drive, etc.

Even so, that would be my first suspect for elimination...a replacement battery costs less than $5 and is available just about anywhere.

I suppose that it could also be a power supply issue, but those usually either allow access to the BIOS or just won't allow my systems to boot at all.

Let's see what others think :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Forgot to mention that the BIOS freezes happen if I press Reset after an episode of freezing in Windows.

I also noticed that the freezes occur on the desktop or while browsing, and usually when I click on something, like an icon or a menu button. But I just now got through a good 3 hours of Settlers 5 with nothing happening. Weird.

#6 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

Look at the motherboard for possible busted or swollen capacitors. Caps that are blown or bulging will cause blue screens, locking and all kinds of stuff, and would also explain the locking up in BIOS.

#7 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

Could there be any other causes? The capacitors on mobo all still have their caps on with no deformities that I can see.

#8 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

Update: booted in Safe Mode with Networking, seem to have gotten no hangs/freezes. I'm starting to think it may be a driver that's used when booting in Normal Mode.
It also hangs in Safe Mode :thumbsup:

Edited by geno93n0, 10 April 2009 - 11:17 AM.

#9 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

With my most recent freeze, after pressing the Reset button, the comp doesn't even boot and the monitor shows an orange light. Also, another time, the red light (the one that has a battery-like icon, CMOS?) on my CPU case didn't light up and the comp didn't boot.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Try a different power supply?

You know...they only have a 1-year warranty.

Louis

#11 jfko6

jfko6

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

Back-Up your system and format the drive and reinstall XP.
All goes well it was a driver issue.

If, not (well re-installing never hurt) than it's a hardware issue. :thumbsup:

#12 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hmm, doesn't seem like fixing this is gonna be for free...I'll see if I can get another power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users