Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP3--Which one to install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

Last time I was here I was having trouble downloading Norton Anti-Virus 360. In the end, I decided to get a new computer, since I've been having so much trouble with this one for the past year. I'm still looking into it, but have decided to download SP3 to see if it makes a difference or if it's a major problem with my hard drive.

I noticed that Automatic Updates never downloaded SP3. Is the download for IT Professionals the one I should download or should I buy the installation CD?

Computer is a Dell Opti-Plex GX 260 running SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Either version is good...whichever you prefer. Same files are downloaded/installed.

You could also manually do the install via Windows Update.

I see no point in paying for something (CD) that can be downloaded and installed immediately, as opposed to awaiting a CD via mail...but that's the way I look at things.

The advantage of the network install package (as I see it) is that it makes it easy to slipstream a new XP CD with SP3 included...and it precludes network problems of any type interfering with the install (potential nuisance with using the WinUpdate site).

Frankly...if you suspect hard drive problems, the time to check such is now, not later.

No SP3 or Windows update has a beneficial effect on hardware situations.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

Dell OptiPlex GX260 runs on P4 at 2.5 GHz but has only 256MB RAM (from DELL website).

For better performance, you might want to upgrade your RAM to around 1 GB or more.

Also, now you have another computer, so why not download SP3 on newer computer and slipstream it with XP CD. That way you can install XP with SP3 right from the beginning.

How to slipstream SP3 :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

#4 whatdoesthisbuttondo

whatdoesthisbuttondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Thanks. I tried installing the Diagnostic test for Maxtor, but got a "The Windows Installation Service could not be accessed..." message, which means I have to work on that first.

Also, in my OP I misspoke--I haven't figured out which computer I should get yet, which is why I'm working on this faulty one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users