Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shuts down before windows even opens

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 weasel10469

weasel10469

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:00 AM

My PCs been down for a couple of months now, (I was too frusterated to even look at it last month) but I'm ready to try again - hopefully armed with professionals this time....

I've got an AMD 3200 processor on a winfast K7NCR18-D Pro motherboard. A raid card hooked up to 2 120 Gig HDs running in raid stripped format, nvida 5900 ultra graphics card, sound blaster audigy 2, floppy drive, dvd/cd drive, and cd burner. This is powered by a Raidmax 420 w power unit. 2 sticks of Corsair 512 ram, fan control unit, and neon (just making sure to list everything).
THE PROBLEM: originally I was getting some overheating and some shutdowns from it. Evevntually windows xp professional would come up for a couple minutes and then I'd get a blue screen saying "a problem has been detected and windows was shut down to avoid damage. A device driver attempting to coorupt the system has been caught. The faulty device driver on kernel stack must be replaced with a working version......", or a blue screen saying "IRQL_EQUAL_TO_OR_LESS_THAN......". It would do this in safe mode also. As I tried to fix it, the problem got worse gradually, so that now, I have to turn the power at the power unit off and on, then hit my normal power button to start it, and I usually have to do this about 3 times before it starts up. It then either A) gets to the windows start up screen and hen goes dead (moniter light goes from green to amber, video card fan speeds up, all drives go dead, cant reset or use on/off switch on front of tower) B) where it should say boot from cd, it instead says ntldr missing, press any key to restart (and again, I have to kill the pwer supply to restart) or C) If I use a windows disk, or recovery console disk, I can usually get into most of the load/repair windows stuff, untill it tries to start windows, where it dies again.
I pulled my raid card and hooked up a HD, switched graphics cards (this was my overheating problem I believe, I never checked the fan on the graphics card and it was LOADeD with dust, doghair, and other bleep I cleaned out of it), put in a new processor, hooked a 400w power supply, and put in a different moherboard (but when I found it didnt have a slot for my raid card, i dont remember if i tried it with a different HD, but I think I did) but nothings worked. My old processor did need to be replaced, I had it tested and it was only reading 1.1 Gig - about half of what it should - but I'm still dead in the water.
If I had 2 units go out at about the same time, now that I've replaced the cpu, what should I do/look at next??
.............didn't mean to type a novel here, but I wanted to be thorough!

Any help is appreciated, and I thank you for hearing me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:26 AM

If cooling is a problem have you installed any case fans to aid with cooling?

I'd try running some basic diagnostic tools on your system.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ has many different tools which will test your system.

If you have access to a WinXP PC I'd also suggest building the Ultimate BootCD 4 Windows which will also help you diagnose any problems, plug it will give a good indication of whether your hdd will get to boot into windows.

If you get anymore BSOD please post the full string which will appear something like this 0x00000000 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This will give some indication of what's causing the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users