Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed old hp printer program...now have errors, missing .DLL file and FROZEN

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jeni-MC

Jeni-MC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:48 AM

I was preparing to update my uncle's pc from Win98 to WinXP...Started out backing up files and programs and then was going to do a complete pc backup, when I began to clean up old programs. I removed a handful of small unused software programs and the old printer (hp photosmart).

When I restarted... that is when all my problems started: it boots up, the desktop background pic is there, no icons, no START, nothing but error boxes.
1st pop-up error box titled
"Error Starting Program"
"A required .DLL file, MSVCRT.DLL, was not found."
"OK"

Then w/in a few seconds, a large white box pops up:
"Error loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.
OK "

The 3rd and final error box titled:
(the windows flag logo) "Ashserv"
(a red circle w/ white 'X') "This program has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down.
If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."
On the right 2 boxes: "Close" "Details>>"
If I Click on Details
"ASHSERV caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL
at 016f:bff8acl3" then several lines of numbers, letters, etc.

Once I close the illegal operation box, everything freezes, can't use mouse anymore. My only option, other then turning off is CTRL+ALT+DEL, this brings up 2-3 programs (varies b/w 1,2 or 3)
Msgsrv32 (Not Responding)
Mmtask
ashserv

-----
:thumbsup: My problem: I never got my backups of My Documents, My Pics, and select programs, etc. There are lots & lots of family pics that can't be replaced!! This is why I'm afaraid to just go in and do a install/reinstall. I can't lose the pics / data
My ultimate goal is to install WinXP and then hopefully find updates/patches for some of the older programs to run on XP.

I've tried running in safe mode - no change other then it doesn't recognize my mouse at all.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users