Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning up Win98, errors taken over, MUST get backup b4 installing XP...HELP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeni-MC

Jeni-MC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

I was preparing to update my uncle's pc from Win98 to WinXP...Started out backing up files and programs and then was going to do a complete pc backup, when I began to clean up old programs. I removed a handful of small unused software programs and the old printer (hp photosmart).

When I restarted... that is when all my problems started: it boots up, the desktop background pic is there, no icons, no START, nothing but error boxes.
1st pop-up error box titled
"Error Starting Program"
"A required .DLL file, MSVCRT.DLL, was not found."
"OK"

Then w/in a few seconds, a large white box pops up:
"Error loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.
OK "

The 3rd and final error box titled:
(the windows flag logo) "Ashserv"
(a red circle w/ white 'X') "This program has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down.
If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."
On the right 2 boxes: "Close" "Details>>"
If I Click on Details
"ASHSERV caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL
at 016f:bff8acl3" then several lines of numbers, letters, etc.

Once I close the illegal operation box, everything freezes, can't use mouse anymore. My only option, other then turning off is CTRL+ALT+DEL, this brings up 2-3 programs (varies b/w 1,2 or 3)
Msgsrv32 (Not Responding)
Mmtask
ashserv

-----
:thumbsup: My problem: I never got my backups of My Documents, My Pics, and select programs, etc. There are lots & lots of family pics that can't be replaced!! This is why I'm afaraid to just go in and do a install/reinstall. I can't lose the pics / data
My ultimate goal is to install WinXP and then hopefully find updates/patches for some of the older programs to run on XP.

I've tried running in safe mode - no change other then it doesn't recognize my mouse at all.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:40 AM

I've tried running in safe mode - no change other then it doesn't recognize my mouse at all.

Jennifer

well drivers dont load in safe mode so no mouse lol a seriel mouse will work but

ok mabye you can download MSVCRT.DLL
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcrt

ok now get a boot disk from here
WIN 98::::http://1gighost.com/ed/ta/boot98.exe
WIN 98 SE:::::::::http://1gighost.com/ed/ta/boot98se.exe
now let the boot disk install its self into the floppy disk and then paste the file MSVCRT.DLL in it
now restart the computer with the floppy disk IN

now it will come up with a menu
press shift+F5( i think it is that look at the bottem at the screen see whats the buttons for dos prompt)
and it will come up with a dos prompt thing and type this

copy a:\MSVCRT.DLL c:\windows\system\MSVCRT.DLL

and let it complete and then restart and see what happens :thumbsup:
hope this works :flowers:

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

Welcome to BC Jennifer.

I was preparing to update my uncle's pc from Win98 to WinXP...Started out backing up files and programs and then was going to do a complete pc backup, when I began to clean up old programs. I removed a handful of small unused software programs and the old printer (hp photosmart).

Well backing up your files won't hurt anything. Are you burning these to a CD or a flash drive?

When you say you are updating from Win98 to WinXP are you using an update CD? Or do you have a full stand alone WinXP CD?

The first thing you must try is a Scanreg /restore in DOS. When your computer starts up keep the CTRL key pressed until you see the DOS menu with Safe Mode shown. Select 5) Command Prompt Only. At the C:\ prompt type in Scanreg /restore and restore it to a previous date when things started up without errors, then restart to restore. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

1. Boot from a Floppy with CD-ROM support as starcraftmaster has mentioned.
2. Insert Win98 CD in your CDRom drive.
3. Assuming D: is your CD Rom drive letter (it will be displayed when you boot from Floppy)
4. type rename c:\windows\system\msvcrt.dll c:\windows\system\msvcrt.old and press ENTER.
5. Type ext and press ENTER to start the extraction process. When asked to enter the path to the Windows CAB files, type D:\win98 and press ENTER.
6. When asked to enter the name of the files you want to extract, type msvcrt.dll and press ENTER.
7. You will see a message that asks you to enter the path to extract to type c:\windows\system and press ENTER.
8. Type Y and press the ENTER key to finish the extraction process. Once the process is complete, you can restart your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users