Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom Built Computer crashes with 4GB of Ram, but so far, not with 2.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CrossCut49

CrossCut49

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

Recently, I have encountered several computer problems. The first of all of my problems started before I installed the new RAM, when Windows XP got the BSOD before startup. Trying to fix the problem, I decided to attempt to repair. Unfortunately, I have several Window XP disks and each one was somehow corrupted. Then, I wanted to do a fresh install. Trying to get to the fresh install was a pain however, as I was put into an endless "Setup is continuing" every bootup.

Anyways, this is besides the point. I finally got Windows XP to install, and once I did this, I installed DDR2-Dual Corsair 800 5-5-18T RAM cards. So, the computer was running very smoothly, and in the middle of playing "Platform Racer 2" the computer crashed. Ok, no big deal, this happens with a custom built computer every now and then. Ok, so I go back to the computer and browse the net - CRASH! I decided it may be the RAM, and I tried switching the slots. However, when this happened, I recently realized I did something incorrectly and only 2GB are active. The time of the computer running is about 5X longer, and I have yet to see a crash.

Which leads me to the main point - Is there a reason that only 2GB works with the computer, and not 4? It may just be rotten luck, but I am unsure.

Specs:
ASUS P5ND2-SLI Motherboard - 4 Slots, 8GB Supported
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz
OS = Windows XP Pro. SP2 32Bit
NVidia GeForce 7800 GTX

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to fix the problem myself, but It was unfortunately my brother who built the computer (which honostly, he built terribly) and he doesn't know what the problem is

- Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:53 AM

Try to check the frequency of RAM which is newly install . Is it match with your mother board?
The BSOD error mainly came with the problem of RAM.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:05 AM

could be a bad memory module, have you tried running memtest86?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 CrossCut49

CrossCut49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

Alright guys, thanks for the answers, but it turns out i made a blatant mistake.

The motherboard I have can only support 533 and 667 MHZ. I have RAM with 800MHZ

Anyways, as you can see I'm obviously not an expert at this. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the amount of MHZ to 667 or 533?

#5 jfko6

jfko6

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

You can't adjust mem speed for mismatched mem types.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

I would take a look in the BIOS and try a couple of different bus speeds with that RAM...nothing to lose but a few minutes of time.

Louis

#7 CrossCut49

CrossCut49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Louis, very late I am aware, however, after a little tweaking in the BIOS I managed to find an option to change the frequency as well as latencies.

I am now running at the recommended 4-4-4-12 at 667MHz. Thank you very much for your assistance.

- Robert

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

While Louis mentioned this. Faster memory can be run slower but slower memory running faster is overclocking and can cause problems.

Edit: PS. Thanks for responding with your results!

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 April 2009 - 03:33 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Glad to see that you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users