Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting Password on Networked Sharing Folders?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:02 AM

Hi,

Right now, my home network consists of 3 PCs, two with Vista and one with XP Pro.

Currently file sharing is enabled on the three computers, but I'd like to be able to set passwords on those files so someone on another computer would need to type a password in order to gain access to files on another computer.

Eg. "File.doc" is on computer one, in a shared folder.
A person on computer two is able to open "file.doc" on that computer, After they type a password on it.

Anyone know if that's possible, and if so, how I can go about doing that?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

With Vista Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Choose the Password protected sharing... Then you have to use an account on the machine... With XP, I do believe it is pretty similar though I have not been on an XP machine in some time so I am sorry I can't be more of a help on that...

#3 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Yup, Password protected sharing is on, but anyone seems to still be able to access files without having to type a password..

thanks!

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

Hmm... Do all your system accounts for that computer have passwords? If not that could be why...

#5 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:14 AM

Yup. I even put a password on the guest account, but its still able to access it for some reason..

#6 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:08 AM

iF this aint working u can use winrar to set a password on files

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

Well I am not sure that you can with winrar, but you could always encrypt the file... I apologize for not being able to help you... I just never set up networks that way... If I set a network up to be able to share folders outside of p2p, I set it up for ftp, telnet, or ssh...

#8 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

Well what i mean, is that they can still download any file, but in order to look at it they need the password (thats where winrar gets in). Its not exacly what u mean (u mean that they, in order to dload the file, they need to enter the password right?) but its pretty much the same

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:16 AM

No encrypting a file makes it basically useless to anyone who does not have the encryption key... Though yes good hackers/crackers, might be able to decrypt it without the use of the key, but it would take a good amount of time if it's encryption is a at least 64-bit... (a good encryption is 128-bit)
I like to set up with FTP and SSH, because then you have to provide a password and what not prior to being able to view anything at all with the computer...
Also if I remember correctly, which ever files are on your shared list, I think you can set the folder options to force for a password before letting anyone see it...

#10 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hm ye k i guess encrypting the files would work to

#11 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Actually encrypting a file is one of the best ways to protect the file... Even if someone is able to get the file off the computer in the first place, it is not a simple 16-bit password (like winrar), but instead using a 64-bit or even better 128-bit encryption, the file is useless without the password (winrar all it does is a simple compression, and the password is not hard to break with winrar...), even with winrar, all that is need is a good bypass script and it can be uncompressed without the need of a password... An encrypted file is a bit different... The entire file is completely changed and useless without the decryption...

#12 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:06 AM

Ya, I understand about using compression utilities to encrypt files, however that unfortunately does not work in my case. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Also if I remember correctly, which ever files are on your shared list, I think you can set the folder options to force for a password before letting anyone see it...

lol ya That's what I want to do, but I can't seem to find the option for it ...

#13 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

Ya, I understand about using compression utilities to encrypt files, however that unfortunately does not work in my case. Thanks for the suggestion though.

lol ya That's what I want to do, but I can't seem to find the option for it ...

Yes I think you can do when you have when you "home network"

Try right clicking the folder and go to properties and then sharing and select "Make this as private folder", it will ask if you wish to put password.

Let me know if it works :thumbsup:

There was tutorial in this forum about encryption and password protection, but couldnt find it now :flowers:

Edited by sreez, 13 April 2009 - 09:34 AM.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#14 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

Hi,

Sorry about the late reply.

Would that be in Vista or XP? (I can't find the option in Vista, and unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try that option on the XP computer yet).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users