Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer suddenly became excruciatingly slow

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 culeylm

culeylm

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

A couple days ago I deleted a lot of old documents. I emptied my trash. After this my computer that was always very speedy (instant) became extremely slow. Start up takes forever and that was always fast. Launching programs is very slow.

I have run my McAfee software and of course it took forever to run, it didn't turn up anything. I've run Spybot search and destroy, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Glary Utilities. I've defragged, and ran disk clean-up. What's left? Help please, this is very frustrating. This computer was our best fastest computer and now it is painful to use. :thumbsup: Thanks.
--Running Windows XP Home version
--Cable Internet connection
--Dell Dimension

Edited by culeylm, 08 April 2009 - 07:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors that might provide a clue as to the cause of the problem.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

1. Delete all the Junks files TEMP, %TEMP%, PREFETCH ( Start > run > type TEMP > delete all the entries ) same as %TEMP% and Prefetch also.
2. As you already told , you tried defrag and diskcleaup. so no need to do again.
3. Disabled unwanted startup contents from MSCONFIG ( start > run > type msconfig > in last tab uncheck all the unwanted startup items.
4. try to open program once after disabled the Antivirus .

#4 culeylm

culeylm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

EVENT VIEWER RESULTS....Thanks for your response

Applications errors: Most were application hang errors except for a couple of the following:
ERROR: cyprt32
Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Security errors: I only saw failures...

IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

System: received the following several times

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the mcmscsvc service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The server {C7E39D60-7A9F-42BF-ABB1-03DC0FA4F493} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{56D60CEF-992B-4379-8894-FA87E966BFEB}. The backup browser is stopping.

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer LISA that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{56D60CEF-992B-4379-8894. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

#5 culeylm

culeylm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

Answers to your suggestions are in red

1. Delete all the Junks files TEMP, %TEMP%, PREFETCH ( Start > run > type TEMP > delete all the entries ) same as %TEMP% and Prefetch also. Did this some wouldn't delete. The ones I did delete are still in my recycle, just in case
2. As you already told , you tried defrag and diskcleaup. so no need to do again.
3. Disabled unwanted startup contents from MSCONFIG ( start > run > type msconfig > in last tab uncheck all the unwanted startup items. Did this but it started creating other problems, I didn't want to deal with...
4. try to open program once after disabled the Antivirus .

Problems still ocurring...

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

Nothing there stands out as the cause to the problems.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

My favorite cleaning software is ccleaner.

www.ccleaner.com

It dramatically speeds up your computer, manages your startup, scans your registry, and has an uninstall list. Its freeware.

I use it everyday.

~StickDude101

Also, if you could give me a list of your processes running, i could make a quick batch file that will END the useless ones.

Im good at BATCH scripting, and i know exactly what im doing :thumbsup:

~StickDude101

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

My favorite cleaning software is ccleaner.

I also use CCleaner. However, I would stay well away from the registry cleaner function, and any other registry cleaner software packages. They are more likely to cause harm than good in my opinion.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 culeylm

culeylm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

StickDude...
Is there a way to copy and paste the list from the windows task manager? I couldn't do that, so I typed just the names of the processes.

igfxsrvc.exe
taskmgr.exe
WG111v3.exe
hpqtra08.exe
hpswp_clipbook.exe
msnmsgr.exe
wuaclt.exe
ctfmon.exe
sprtcmd.exe
hpwuSchd2.exe
mcvsshld.exe
jusched.exe
mcsysmon.exe
mcods.exe
alg.exe
hkcmd.exe
igfxtray.exe
issch.exe
igfxpers.exe
DLACTRLW.EXE
RTHDCPL.EXE
DMXLauncher.exe
mcagent.exe
hpqste08.exe
McProxy.exe
McNASvc.exe
mcmscsvc.exe
jqs.exe
svchost.exe
spoolsv.exe
fxssvc.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
sprrtsvc.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
IEXPLORE.EXE
spnsrvnt.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
sntlkeyssrvr.exe
smss.exe
msksvere.exe
explorer.exe
MpfSrv.exe
Mcshield.exe
System
System Idle Process

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

You have a lot of programs running that do not need to be run at startup.

Have you always had McAfee on your system or was that put on just before the system slowed down?

Were any of the files you deleted anything but documents and did you delete anything from the windows folder?

I would do a System Restore to a date before the computer slowed down

Edited by Stang777, 10 April 2009 - 06:07 PM.

#11 culeylm

culeylm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

Yes, always had McAfee on the system and no I did not remove anything from the windows folder. The only thing that was removed was document files.

If a system restore is done to a date before the computer slowed down, what will happen to work done since then. We run an estimating software on this computer and there has been some data input, what will happen to that?

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

Typically nothing happens to your personal data when you use System Restore. However, just to be safe, I would back that up to a cd or flash drive before doing the System Restore.

If I were you, I would be backing that stuff up quite often anyway. On my old job, we used Quickbooks Pro for all our invoicing and a\r and had I not backed up the data frequently on cd, we would have been totally messed up when we had a break in and the computer was stolen.

#13 culeylm

culeylm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Okay, I'm trying to do a system restore and none of the restore points have been successful!!! I am now trying in safe mode and then if that doesn't work, I will take the computer and toss it in the pond!!! :thumbsup:

#14 culeylm

culeylm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

system restore is still not working and my computer is becoming more and more unstable... I really can't throw it in the pond as much as I would like to. Is my last resort to reformat my c: drive???

#15 culeylm

culeylm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

Thinking my next step is to reinstall Windows XP. Problem is...my cd drive is not working. Not sure why. Computer is 2 years old. Maybe from not using it? I'm worn out. Any ideas as to how to reinstall without the CD? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users